.357 Barrel Lengths

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by adam11082, Mar 28, 2008.

1. I plan on buying a .357 for camping and hiking (protection against black bears) and possibly the occasional whitetail at close range if the opportunity presents itself. I was looking at some revolvers with the 4in barrel, and liked them.

Here's the dillema......I found a great deal on the S&W with a 2in barrel. Will the shorter barrel still be adequate for my needs?

Thanks

2. i'm often wondering 357mag short barrel. never had a chance shooting it, but often see kids(ok, few years younger than me) shooting it in the range and break out laugher for its recoil and control(lack of).
    i think 2in barrel is a bit short for controlling 357mag. but you can alway load 38 in it.
    hope someone else here can give you more insight experience.

3. FIRST...check your regulations about barrel length if your going to use it for hunting.

I have a Ruger Blackhawk 357 with a 4 or 4 1/2 inch barrel. Here in WV a handgun used for hunting has to have a minium barrel length of 4".

I carry mine when out riding my ATV or walking on our 8,000 acre lease incase of bears and also for snakes (carry snake shot with me).

4. Stay AWAY from short barrels if you are planning anything except CC with it. That short barrel kills accuracy, expecially on a round like the 357mag. Personally, I'd recommend no less then a 4" barrel. Look at the Taurus Tracker series. 4" ported barrel with a 7 shot cylinder, greeat accuracy, terrific revolver, and the origin of my handle.

5. I had a Taurus snubby .357. It was accurate until about 25 feet. Anything beyond that, forget about it. I didn't mind the recoil and shot it one handed, but it takes a little getting used to. I actually hated the thing and sold it.

On the other hand, my first revolver was a Ruger GP100 in SS with a 6 inch barrel. I loved that gun and kick myself to this day for selling. I bought it because my brother carried a 4" while he was a cop and loved it.

For hunting the 6" barrel is idea, and the 4" is suitable. Stay away from a snubby. You won't hit a deer unless he is in your pocket.