.357 Carbine

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by Ringmaster, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Ringmaster

Ringmaster Member

Hello forum followers! I am new to the Hi Point forums and had a question/suggestion for Hi Point. First, let me start by saying that I am extremely impressed by the products this company produces. Over the last several years I believed I have purchased one of EVERYTHING!

Ok, on to my question...Is there any possibility that Hi Point would or could produce a carbine in .357? It may seem like a silly question but Ohio has recently opened up deer hunting to several calibers with "straight wall" cartridges. I truly believe a carbine chambered in .357 could open up and entirely new market not only for Hi Point but also for many hunters.

I wanted to ask this question first on the forums to see if there would be any support for an idea like this and if so maybe we could convince them to give it a shot! (no pun intended)

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Enter Melvin and his collection in 3...2...

3. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

OMG here we go again. Most of us would love more carbine calibers but I think a 357 mag is a pipe dream due to the rimmed case. That would require multiple new parts. You would be more likely to see a 10mm or 357 SIG as they could be built with only minor modifications to the existing platform.

4. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

One of EVERYTHING?
    I feel a lot better now, I know I'm NOT the only person with MORE Hi Points than I have sense!!! Have you found a cure for your OCD yet?

5. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Oh let me guess. CF-380, C-9, JCP, JHP, 995ts, 4095ts, & 4595ts? Am I close? Boy have you got a surprise coming. That's about 1/10th of them.

6. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Well, that is where most of us started?
    I just hope he can stop before he goes too far!!!

7. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Welcome ringmaster, from the great southwest! Welcome to your newest addiction.

8. nope, you're still the crazy guy.
    He is just mis informed.

where is your picture that has one model of every you have collected?

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Honestly... no. For all of the reasons stated already and more. Heck, even the rounds wouldn't fit any existing magazine design.

I'd say that there is a chance that they'll eventually consider a .357SIG carbine but that won't get you where you want to go because .357SIG is bottleneck.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. That would be interesting, but it would be a completely new design for Hi-Point.

11. You mean Hi Point makes things in other calibers than .45? :stir:

12. cicpup

Vermont
    Yes. They experimented with other useless calibers.

13. Ringmaster

Ringmaster Member

WOW what a great response, and in just a short amount of time! I was expecting at least a few day before I heard back from anyone, nice to see such as active community :)

As far a redesign goes, yes a new mag would be a must to accommodate the round and the grip would need a little widening to match, but would there be that much more that would need done? I have been playing around with the feed ramp and the angle is not to far off from working (or so it appears)

Lastly, you all now have me truly intrigued. I do have the standard assortment you have listed but if that is only about 1/10th I sure would love to know the rest so I can go full blown OCD!!

Thanks much for your time and reply's :D Was just hoping Hi Point may want to throw their hat into the "hunting ring".

14. planosteve

Melvin post the the picture. Ya know you want to.

15. cicpup

Vermont
    So not counting what I already listed:

Carbines:

995 camo
    995 chrome
    4095 camo

Handguns

Maverick
    JS-9 1st gen
    JS-9 2nd gen
    Iberia 40
    Haskel JS-45
    JF-9
    JC
    JH
    Cf-380 grey frame.
    Model C w/alloy frame
    Model C w/polly frame
    CF-380 Comp
    C-9 Comp

Every one starting with the JS-9 2nd gen also was released with a chrome finish. Plus several were released with smooth or textured finishes. Also you have variations with fixed vs adjustable sights.

To add to the mix, in the past year the C-9 was released with an updated slide design and next year they'll be releasing the 3895ts (a .380 carbine).

Like others have said. Melvin will post pics of his collection eventually. He's the current leader. For the record, I only have 25 different Hi-Points.

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

First, Ohio's Deer and Rifle hunting laws are wonky when compared to most other states. I understand the reasoning. Not sure I agree, but I don't have enough info to really make an informed decision one side to the other.

Second, Hi Points are already used for hunting. It is fairly common for us to hear of someone using the carbines for Hog Hunting (usually, but not exclusively, the 4095). I've heard of some using them for pest control, such as coyote. But in the end, they're still a Pistol Caliber Carbine and even a .357SIG from a carbine length barrel wouldn't hold as much energy on target as the more common rifle rounds.

There are plenty of straight-walled rifle cartridges available to chose from (though, admittedly, none from Hi Point). I hear that 45/70 is pretty popular among Ohio hunters now. :)

30-30 Left, 45-70 Right
    [​IMG]

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

17. planosteve

Love me some big bullets.:)

18. lsi1

lsi1 Member

can Melvin get far away enough from his collection to fit it all in one picture?

19. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

I'd prefer a 9mm Largo/9X23 Hi Point. Youd get the same .357 mag performance in a semi auto platform that already exists. You could even do the mod yourself, hand drill just 4 more millimeters. I'm not sure how many that you'd get in a magazine though.

Someones done the same thing with a 10mm Hi Point, bored out a .40 S&W...bam, Hi Point 10mm. Maybe that would be good too? A 10mm would knock the dog s&*t outta a deer.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  20. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

You mean 9x23 Winchester, right? Or maybe .38 Super? Those cartridges will get you into, and a bit above, the really hot 9x19 Luger +P range, but not quite into the .357 Magnum range.

The 9x23 Largo is older and only gets you into the low 9mm Luger range.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk