Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
NO!

The 38spl is not designed to handle the pressure the mag creates.

Its odd, because the +p is about the same pressure as a magnum round...

Last time I checked, a .357mag round was too long to fit in a 38spl. cylinder. The nose of the bullet stuck out and I couldn't close it. This was on an old S&W, dont know about new guns.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
So what's the real scoop? Can 357 MAg be fired from a revolver that is chambered for 38 special? I have heard both yes and no.
The .357 round was developed in an old style 38 Smith and Wesson by Elmer Keith, but modern .38's are designed so that the magnum round will not chamber. For your protection. Did I ever tell you guys that I used to know Mr Keith, by the way? He was a really neat guy!

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Well, i have a Ruger SPNY and i don't really want to get rid of it unless the right deal came along. Just looking at my options. Thanks.
If you roll your own you can make all sorts of custom loads. Just watch the pressure. Aside from that you can go with 38 +p

·
Banned
401 Posts
I have shot thousands of .38 rounds in my S&W .357 with no ill effects at all, in fact the owners manual states it is a perfect alternative for practice shooting and states that the factory warranty was honored on the weapon even if shot with .38

Dp

·
Registered
555 Posts
It does work the other way around though. You can fire a 38 spec in a .357 Mag revolver. Though I wouldn't do it very often.
My EAA WIndicator is marked ".357Mag/.38 Special"--

I only shoot .38s through mine to plink-- I keep it loaded with .357 in the nightstand...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.