.357 magnum ammo

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by bluharley, Feb 9, 2015.

1. bluharley

bluharley Member

Went to my sisters yesterday to give her my Bodyguard she bought of me. While there I was checking out the Ruger Security Six .357 Magnum she inherited from my father. It should be mine because I REALLY want it. But as far as ammo, I think I remember him shooting .38 Special out of it. Is that right?

2. 0311

0311 Member

Yes, it's ok to shoot 38sp out of a 357 Mag gun. Just don't do it the other way around.
    I shoot 38sp in all of my 357's for practice. Throw a few 357's in for a KICK.

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Ever play redneck russian roulette? Load five .38s and one .357 and hand it to someone without telling them.

4. cicpup

Vermont
    Is it similar to my Police Service Six?

Attached Files:

5. bluharley

bluharley Member

Like this, but this is not it. But I would definitely replace those grips. It is not the gun I remember as a kid. The one I remember was stainless with wood grips. He must have traded down.

Attached Files:

6. cicpup

Vermont
    The wood grips on mine were way too small. Almost impossible to hold onto when shooting .357. Switched to this grip and now it's a dream to shoot.

Attached Files:

7. bluharley

bluharley Member

My sister was just saying she thinks she remembers wood grips too, but thinks he switched to these because of the kick! So maybe he did, and I need to shoot it to see.

8. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

Are those Pachmayr grips? I've got a stainless Speed Six that's hopefully going to show up this week and was looking at other grips for it.

9. cicpup

Vermont
    Yes they are.

10. Branth

Branth Member

My grandpa has a Security Six that I really like. They're solid guns. The trigger definitely took some getting used to in double action though - There's this weird hitch where the pull weight increases, then dramatically lightens a little bit before it actually breaks.

11. cicpup

Vermont
    IMO wood grips are like a prom dress. Pretty to look at but useless for every day wear.

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Teenage boys are trying to get them off of what they're already on?

Oh. That too, I guess. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yes.

You can also shoot .38 Long/Long Colt and .38 Short in it, but good luck finding commercial ammo in those calibers at "You mean I don't have to trade my first born?" prices. .38 Special is no more expensive and usually less.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015