.357 SIG!

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by 4095fanatic, Feb 15, 2008.

1. I was recently told that reloading .357 SIG is just as cheap as reloading 9mm... and yet the round has more or less the same defensive characteristics of the .40 S&W. Is this reloading price information true? If so, I may have found my new favorite caliber :).

2. Ari

Ari Guest

3. You might be waiting a very long time for Hi-Point to chamber the 357 SIG in any of their guns, too. I'd stick with a 40 cal. If I want to shoot a bottleneck pistol cartridge, I'll take my CZ52 to the range.

wizard93

4. Jarhead1775

Jarhead1775 Guest

Out of all my brass bucket scrounging at the range I only have 1 case of .357 Sig. I have everything else.

5. Ari

Ari Guest

But it sure would be fun to work up some loads and play with 357sig. It blows 7.62x25 away.... one time 995 said he would like to see a carbine in 357sig.

6. Well, I'd personally just get a .357 SIG barrel and throw it in my G27.

7. Local prices on .357 Sig are about the same as they are for .44 Special, this being $26-$30+ per box of 50rds. I can reload 100rds of .44 Special for about half the cost of 50rds of factory loads, and less if I get a good deal on a bulk bullet buy.

IF you have a decent supply of good brass you can generally count on reloading ammo for a about half the price of factory loads. As far as range pick up brass, finding .357 Sig brass at my ranges is like finding .44 Mag brass. It's not often that I see either laying around, but it does happen from time to time.

8. That might be true with the heavier bullets, but with bullets 110 grains and under, the 7.62x25 averages about 200 fps over the 357 Sig. For example, according to the 2001 Accurate Powder Manual, the 7.62x25 can achieve 1752 fps with a 100 grain jacketed bullet from a 5 inch barreled cz52. The 357 Sig cartridge with a 100 grain jacketed bullet is maxed out at 1516 fps. Both cartridges achieved the highest velocity using AA #9 powder. Since I'm comparing the two cartridges with the same bullet weights, the higher velocity will equate to more energy, hence the equation, e=mv.

So, let's compare energy in foot-pounds in the two cartridges. Since the 7.62x25's heaviest bullet load data is at 110 grains, at 1688 fps this cartridge develops 696 foot-pounds of energy. On the other hand, with the 357 Sig, the heaviest bullet load data listed for it is with a 147 grain Barnes X bullet. With this bullet, max velocity was achieved at 1245 fps, which equates to 506 foot-pounds of energy.

With all due respect, I hardly see where the 357 Sig "blows away" the 7.62x25 Tokarev. The only advantage I see with shooting the 357 Sig is with the availability of heavier bullets. But going to heavier bullets would be like comparing the 32 H&R Magnum to the 357 Magnum. While the 7.62x25 and the 357 Sig are both bottleneck cartridges, they are two different calibers.

Anyhoo, the point in my original post was that shooting bottleneck pistol cartridges isn't the most convenient and economical choice, with the exception of military-surplus 7.62x25 Tokarev ammo. If you want true thriftiness, the 9mm Luger is the way to go. The brass is a dime a dozen at most any range for free pick-up, and usually you can come across someone willing to give you a thousand 9mm cases just for the asking. I'm currently loading 9mm ammo for under 4 cents per round, using my cast bullets. The primer is now the most expensive part of the load.

It would be nice if Hi-Point can chamber their carbines in every dream caliber we want, but from a financial standpoint, that's not possible without making them more expensive than the Beretta or others.

BTW, any time anyone wants to calculate the energy of a bullet, then check this site out: http://www.beartoothbullets.com/rescources/calculators/php/energy.htm

wizard93

9. Ari

Ari Guest

I have to say folks talk about kinetic energy as it is the last word in bullet performance. It is only a small part of it. There is much more to the over math. This guy lays it out much better then I can.

http://www.xmission.com/~fractil/math/kp.html

10. Sniper 995

Sniper 995 Guest

I've seen alot of "357 sig" brass made from 40 s&w brass.

11. I hate the 357sig round, not becuase of the round itself, but because of all the magic that surrounds it. One guy tried telling me that it was infact the most powerful handgun cartridge in existance, able to punch through a engine block and maintain enough mass and energy to fatally wound someone in the interior of the car. Must be using a heck of a dense round! Then I hear that it's 4 times more powerful then a 357mag round. Then I hear that because of it's wide spread adoption of not only US LEOs, but foreign LEOs, that price will soon drop to below 9mm price (that was over a year or two ago). Then at the last gun show, was told that it's the only round that Army special forces will use because it is basically "the perfect round". Now the cartridge itself is a fine little round, with plenty of power, but I just get sick of hearing about it and unless someone hands me a handgun in .357sig for free, I doubt I'll ever own one because I just naturally look right past them now when browsing.

12. Thorn 242

Thorn 242 Well-Known Member

I am still a firm believer in large, heavy, slow bullets.....45 auto please
    I did read a good write-up in G&A about using hard-cast heavies in the .45-70 to take all kinds of African game, up to and including elephants
    the gun was a Marlin Guide Gun.

13. In all the brass that I've picked up at the range, I think I have a handful of .357Sig at best. It's not a popular round at my range, that's for sure.