38 S&W Question

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Oaktree45, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Oaktree45

Oaktree45 Member

I inherited a couple of 38 Special S&W revolvers. Along with the .38 special and .38 Long Colt are there any other cartridges that can be safely fired in those revolvers?

Merle likes this.
  2. rickm

rickm Member

Techinally a 38 S&W wont chamber in a 38 speacial cylinder but it depends on how wore the cylinder is, cause a 38 S&W case is 6/1000th larger in dia than a 38 special and the bullet is 3/1000th bigger also. So just be prepared if you get some 38 S&W ammo.

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Are these "revolvers made by Smith & Wesson and chambered in .38 Special" or are these "revolvers chambered for the .38 S&W cartridge"??? It sounds like the former, but I want to be sure.

As far as I know, only .38 Long and .38 Special in a revolver chambered for .38 Special.

.38 S&W will not safely chamber or fire.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Merle and Think1st like this.
  4. Oaktree45

Oaktree45 Member

These are S&W revolvers chambered for the 38 special.

lklawson likes this.
  5. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

If they are chambered in .38 S&W Special, they will chamber and fire .38 Special, .38 Long Colt loaded with .357-.359” lead or cast bullets, and .38 Short Colt loaded with .357-.359” lead or cast bullets. .38 S&W and .38 Colt New Police are a different diameter, and won’t chamber in the .38 S&W Special.

Post some pics and let us see them.

Rerun, lklawson and histed like this.
  6. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

I have a Colt .38 S&W Police Positive, it only takes the shorter S&W ammo. The cylinder is too short for the .38 special rnd:

10.JPG

mr_flintstone likes this.
  7. Oaktree45

Oaktree45 Member

Here’s one of the S&W revolvers I inherited chambered for .38 Special. Since it doesn’t have the model number stamped on the yoke so I believe this is a Chiefs Special (model 36) produced between 1950 – 57. At some point in the gun’s history someone bobbed the hammer, probably to make it better as a pocket gun.
    IMG_0496.JPG

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  8. mr_flintstone

I have recently had a renewed interest in .38 Long Colt, and thought I’d share this here in case you (or someone else) might find it useful.

Here is all the available load data I can find for the 38 Long Colt in a spreadsheet.
    F3FB9331-D820-4FB8-8235-D7894D477571.jpeg

If anyone can contribute more published data, let me know.

Here’s the last box of .38 Long Colt I made just a few days ago.

FCC527BC-7B7A-4250-BD38-F7775829D672.jpeg

JP Walsh, histed, Rerun and 1 other person like this.
  9. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

@mr_flintstone you know we have a reloading section for data, right?

10. mr_flintstone

Yeah, I just thought it kinda went along with this thread. The OP was looking for options for his guns, and I thought it might be applicable. If I was wrong in posting it here, I apologize.

11. Rachgier

Nope, I'm just pulling a Kirk to get people to post load data, the way he whines about articles. Since all the old schoolers complained we didn't have a load data section, I made one as soon as I took over the Admin position. Nobody posts in it... :rolleyes:

Rerun and lklawson like this.
  12. mr_flintstone

In that case, I’ll make it a point to post more there in the near future. I always like to discuss reloading topics.

13. Rachgier

I'm just as guilty for not posting. I have notebooks full of data for my firearms and might have put one recipe out there?

14. ron schneider

ron schneider Member

OakTree 45 on your S&W Chief stick to Standard ! They Weren't made to shoot +P ammo ! Just the Standard 158Gr. RNL they are a nice little carry piece