Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Ammo,

Speer Short Barrel .38spl 135gr GoldDot +P H/P
Corbon DPX .38spl Copper H/P

Both will expand form 2" and 3" .38spl barrels but penetration may not reach the 12" minimum set by the FBI. Both will also have some recoil in lighter weight revolvers but that Ruger with its extra weight should handle it nicely. I carry SafeStop 148gr FMJ Full Wad-Cutters in my S&W Model 637 as it will hold its cutting sharp edges and penetrate deeply.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Ammo,

Speer Short Barrel .38spl 135gr GoldDot +P H/P
Corbon DPX .38spl Copper H/P

Both will expand form 2" and 3" .38spl barrels but penetration may not reach the 12" minimum set by the FBI. Both will also have some recoil in lighter weight revolvers but that Ruger with its extra weight should handle it nicely. I carry SafeStop 148gr FMJ Full Wad-Cutters in my S&W Model 637 as it will hold its cutting sharp edges and penetrate deeply.
That is the type of round I have been studying for the 38 spec... 148gr Wad-Cutter... I was reading about the 200gr 38 S&W that the Britts used to shoot in WWII. I see where they were easy shooting and I would think the 200 gr would give the 12 inch penetration needed.. So I was thinking about loading something like that for the 38 Spec and doing some testing. But for now moving the wife to 148gr WC
The old 200gr lead round nose was the worst performing .38spl load ever developed. The 148gr HARD CAST Full Wad-Cutter pushed at 800 to 850FPS should do nicely. Just make sure the wad-cutter has a blunt sharp edge and not the ones that have a tamper.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.