380 10 round mag hard to get into gun

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by RustyJ25, Aug 9, 2015.

1. RustyJ25

RustyJ25 Member

I just bought a 10 rd magazine for a used 380 I purchased. The mag is very hard to get to seat. The last quarter inch or so I really have to hit it to get it to lock into place. When I hit the release it only drops out about a half inch then I have to pull it out. Feels like it is rubbing something on the way in the last little bit up near the feeder. Tried oiling it didn't seem to help. Fires fine just seems like it shouldn't be that hard to lock it in. Any thoughts?

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Hipoint mags don't 'free fall'
    Look for rub marks on the mag or next time you have the slide off, insert the mag and see where it hits.

3. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

??? Mine do.???

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yours are broken in. The various safeties work by having the mags apply pressure to stuff inside the mag well, that light pressure will stop free fall, unless/until they are worn in.

Also, OP, try inserting the mag with the slide locked back. Is it easier then?

5. RustyJ25

RustyJ25 Member

Yes it is easy to slide in locked back. So I guess it just need to wear in. The guy I bought the gun from said he had only shot about 25 rounds with it so I guess you could say it is in "new" condition as far as the guts go. I have shot approximately 150 rounds through it but only about 50 with the 10 round magazine. One of the magazines he gave me an 8 round one doesn't have a spring and the feed area looks bent up. He said he broke the spring tweaking it. Is it worth trying to send it back to HP and ask for a new one?

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Just call mom and ask, they'll send the spring for free.

Yes, you just need more break in time. You can load one less round for a while, it will insert easier.

Good news...it shoots right!:)

7. jwright

jwright Member

Mine does same thing on my C9 thought about just using the 8's also it seems to have a lot of play in it to

8. RustyJ25

RustyJ25 Member

Yeah the 8 has no issues. I will keep working with the 10 though also. I will give MOM a call about the spring. The gun works great. I love shooting it. Thanks for all your help and advice.

9. RustyJ25

RustyJ25 Member

Spring is on the way.