Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've run about 300 rnds thru my HP .380 with ZERO problems using Monarch FMJ's. Both 8 and 10 rnd mags.

I called several Academy's today to see if they had stock since I'm almost out. Guy at one of the stores said he had 8 boxes...asked him to hold them for me, he did. However when I got there they were they turned out to be hollow points. I bought 4 boxes.

So....at what point is it 'safe' to start cycling hollow points thru the .380? I compared the rounds (hollow/FMJ) and it's about a 16th of an inch difference relative to overall length.

I'm kinda lost here so any help is appreciated!!!!!

Thanks in advance - Craig

·
Registered
8 Posts
Craig-
I'm happy to hear you are having fun with your new .380. I ordered 2 from Bud's the same day you did. I finally get to pick mine up from my FFL on Saturday. Gotta love the 10 day wait period in California. The good news is during the wait I was able to find some ammo 200 rds at a local store and have another 800 on order. I figure I will shoot them in a week or ten days after I load the mags and let then set.
Roger-

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
WR, if you are able to throw FMJs downrange without a single hitch, then start working on the JHPs. Hi-Points can be very finicky when it comes to JHPs, though. Spend some cash and try several different brands. Once you find one that you like and will feed reliably, throw a box or two downrange to ensure that you won't have any problems. I also suggest that you rotate your SD/HD ammo, that you keep loaded in the gun, about every three months. Shoot what you have loaded in the mags, then load them back up with fresh rounds.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rgoer - 1st congrats! Yeah it was too good a deal to pass up and after firing it I wouldn't have felt at all bad if I'd have spent $50 more! For what it's worth, I also really like the 10 round mags in the .380 vs. the 8 round. Maybe it's just me. I bought the 10 rnd's so I could ensure that ~ 10 rnd = .380, 8 rnd = 9mm. I don't know what would happen if I thres a mag with 9's in it into the .380 but I gotta believe nothing good would come of it, lol.

Broomhead - Believe me if I could even find some .380 ammo other than the Monarch I would as that's what I did with the C9. I've found some at some small gun shops but the prices start at $32 or .64 a round or $6.40 a mag!!!!! Yikes!!!!! I'm sure I'll stumble into one of the big boys that just got in some reasonably priced ammo sooner or later.

And excuse my ignorance, or lack of sleep but what do you mean by SD/HD please?

Thanks all and weather permitting I'll report back on the JHP's this weekend.

Craig

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I have been getting Remington FMJ .380(green box) at Wally World for $15 for 50 rd. box. $29 for 100 rd. box

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Self Defense/Home Defense, basically the JHPs that you choose to carry. Just fire off the mag full that you carry every three months and reload it with a fresh set of JHPs.

·
514 Posts
I started shooting hollow points after about 300 rounds of FMJ. I shoot Remington Golden Saber ammo and have never had so much as a hiccup with it.

cheers,
Kyu

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.