Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase my first handgun. Looking for input on which gun to purchase. CF380 or C9 handgun. For use at range with co-workers as an outing on weekends. Adult daughters have shown interest in also shooting. Limited budget and more then likely will only purchase one gun. booooo.....I know round for the C9 are slightly more expensive which is not a big deal as my daughters and I will be mostly weekend users...any suggestions.....

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Ammo for the .380 is twice as much as a 9 in some cases. You can find 9mm for $10, the .380 $22 I paid last time. I'll never buy another .380.

·
Premium Member
9,436 Posts
My favorite cartridges are the 45 and 380 acp so I should lean in that direction. I have a CF380 and it has been flawless, I would reccomend it to anyone.

That said, I would choose the C9 over the CF380. The reason is the C9 is built around the 9mm. The CF380 seems like an afterthought.

As far as cost difference between the 380 and the 9, I just bought 100 rounds of each last Friday, the 380 is more expensive for target ammo. You will find that the premium self defense ammo is about the same price. If you decide to reload, 380 is slightly less expensive, using less lead and powder.

·
Brob62
39 Posts
The 380 has a little less recoil, but I would go with the C9 for the ammo price and availability. It's hard to find 380 ammo right now.

·
Premium Member
9,436 Posts
All ammo has been plentiful here lately. Hope it's the new normal.

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
One more vote for the C9, especially since you stated you're on a limited budget. There is a slight difference in recoil between the 9 and the .380, but with HI Point, you ain't gonna notice it. If you start to shoot a lot, consider reloading. :blush::eek: OOPS! Forget that - it a whole 'nother addiction!

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
I say why get either, get a JHP and get it over with, you know deep down you really want a 45. :D If not go with the 9 mm. :(

·
Registered
693 Posts
my 2cents, don't get ether.

Go for the .40cal Hi Point Pistol, it's bigger yes but it has a longer sight radius, about as much if not less kick than the 9mm due to weight. The ammo is only a little bit more, and the accuracy you get out of a full size compared to a compact platform is much better.

If it's your first gun start with something a bit larger and easier to control. then later move to the smaller stuff....

Besides once you have a pistol your gonna want a carbine and the .40cal shares magazines with the pistol, the C9 doesn't.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
sorry, was referring, as I assume on a hi point forum, the OP is thinking along this brand line, here the 9mm is only $20 more than the 380 for the actual gun
Got it! I agree, $20 more for the c9, and save $10 a box on ammo, it's a no brainer.

·
Registered
693 Posts
really, out here in florida most of them are running the same price, maybe $20 difference from the .380 to the .45

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
really, out here in florida most of them are running the same price, maybe $20 difference from the .380 to the .45
Ammo is expensive. $10 for 9mm, 40's are $15-$22, 45's are even more, and 380's are more than $20 a box. The OP says he's on a budget and wants to do some range time, the 9mm is the cheapest to shoot.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a CF380, and I quite like it. But I got it in a trade, it just happened to be what was offered and I am glad I got it.
If I was able to choose I would go with the 9mm over the .380, more powerful round, cheaper ammo that is easier to find.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
You'll make up the small difference in what you pay for the 9 over the 380 with the first couple of boxes of ammo you buy. I never understood the appeal of 380 anyway, especially if you're not looking for a concealable little carry gun. Buying it for range fun, there will be more fun for the money with the 9.

·
Premium Member
21,441 Posts
Lots of Fed aluminum available lately. $14.95 for .40 or .45.

I don't know what is wrong with me.............I didn't buy any ammo this weekend!

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
To get back on the subject: lpattersonmcp. If the pistol is going to be "strictly range use", then it's really academic which one you choose. The only consideration would be the ammo cost and availability. It varies from location to location. That is something you will have to check out in your area and go from there. Where I live, 380 is not as available as 9mm, and is more expensive.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts