.380 pocket gun options ?

Discussion in 'Caliber Zone' started by shadowlands, Feb 17, 2016.

1. I own and carry “daily” a Ruger LCP. I pocket carry.
    It’s pretty much always on me.
    What do you folks with LCP’s or similar .380’s carry, ammo wise?
    Some say ball for deeper penetration since .380 isn’t as potent as 9mm, etc…
    Others only use Buffalo Bore, or hollow points.
    I don’t own any Buffalo Bore, but I currently have ball ammo in mine.
    In the past I’ve had Hydra Shok in there. Any love/hate for Hyra Shok?
    I own tons of that stuff. I haven’t tested it yet. That’s why I went back to ball, until I get a chance.

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I have some Gold Dot...it was on sale, has good reviews, and ran through the gun (P3AT) with no issues.

All my other carry guns run home rolled XTP, except the 10mm which came with a butt load of various JHP flavors.

3. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Check out Underwood 90 Grain Xtreme Penetrator. A regular and +P version is available. Carry only; not a range round. Watch the videos.

Something a little less extreme is the Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrator.

Next step down, and useable for the range is the either the Fiocchi or Precision One XTP 90 grains.

All will do the trick.

BTW, my S.O. has gone to a stronger recoil spring to help compensate for these rounds. No need to carry a 9mm now.:)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  4. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I carry truncated cone. I had the opportunity to shoot several types of ammunition into some hams. PDX1, Gold Dot, and Golden Saber. The Golden Saber acted like ball ammo. The PDX1 and Gold Dot expanded well, but didn't penetrate well. Hand loads using XTP were a bit better. Cast truncated cone impressed me. Penetrated well and left a good wound channel.

5. I do have an upgraded trigger on my LCP, for what it's worth.
    I need to try some of my Hydra Shoks at the range, and see if I jam.

6. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I recently picked up a BNIB Ruger LCP-380 for $232 OTD. I have only put about 50 rounds of cheap ball ammo through it, with NO problems. I have a couple of boxes of Hollow Points, I may try them later. ALL my BAD guy's prefer the cheap ball ammo, it hurts less they say?
    I was all set to buy a Taurus TCP-380 until I read on a Taurus FB page about numerous guys have various models of their Taurus pistols in the shop for over 1 year. And have NO clue when they are getting them back. The call faithfully every couple of months to check on them, but no idea when they are coming home. They just UNSOLD me on anything Taurus!!!
    I was also looking at the Keltec 380. But I have owned 3 Keltec PF-9's. I had trouble with all 3 of them. And KT's customer service wanted to charge me for parts. A $3 with $7 shipping? What's wrong with that picture.

7. Nice! Great deal on your Ruger LCP. I paid $300.00 for mine, and it took me weeks to find one in stock. Well done.

8. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

I do a Ruger LCP, I carry ball in it for good penetration. I doubt theres enough energy to poke deep AND mushroom.

Ive been told to stagger to rounds, ball, HP, ball, HP. I dunno if this would be better.

Im gonna use it to clean out your sinus anyhow.

Point in face, pull trigger

Repeat if needed

9. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

It is one of my small little gun shops I frequent. He just got 3 of the LCP's in last Friday. $225.99 + tx. When you visit 6-7 LGS a week, you can usually find a deal somewhere?

http://www.molonlabearmsandsupply.com/contact.html

10. histed

histed Supporting Member

Mostly I do the same - home rolled XTP's. When the price is right, I'll carry hydrashocks. If you're interested in reading the results, this [URL="http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/][/URL] is a pretty good write up, complete with ballistic gel tests

11. ragnorak

ragnorak Member

I use Hornady 90 gr. Critical Defense. The plastic tip, IMHO, assures reliable feeding and also initiating expansion. This same tip also aids in penetration through clothing, preserving the expansion capability by preventing the cavity becoming clogged by clothing as it passes through.

A lot of ideas in a couple of sentences so, simply, I like the round.;)

12. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

Link please? :)

13. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I'd love some input on those, 'Teach! :D

I found a great deal on the SIG Elite SD ammo (I butchered the name) it
    was $20.95 (per 20) locally and I have a good bit of it. ALSO, some of the
    FREEDOM XTP, it's listed at 1120 FPS (5" barrel) The SIG is HOT, 1250 FPS
    with a 180gr... Also got a couple of small boxes of Underwood, thinking it
    was 1300 FPS for 180gr... Should all really fly in my 6.6" LWD barrel ;)

14. histed

histed Supporting Member

15. I just bought a box of 20 DRT TerminalShock .380 85-grain for $12.48.
    I just bought a box of 50 Monarch FMJ .380 94-grain for $12.99

16. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I'll be working on it, I got a Chrony, and the weather seems to be getting nicer.;)

One bunch is an OLD Hornady Custom, it's supposed to be an XTP at about 1180 fps from a 5 inch barrel. Nothing major.

Another pile is Accurate Ammunition...no idea what it is, except 180 grain JHP 10 mm in a blue box with white lettering.

17. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

18. At present time my wife's SMC is loaded with FMJ. At some point I intend to get some Ranch Dog cast to load for SD. I have used Hunters 380 flat point, and they feed reliably. I will probably test a couple hundred ranch dog bullets using them for SD.

19. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member