Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by 0311, Dec 3, 2014.

1. 0311

0311 Member

My FFL friend sent me an e-mail today. Says he has a Hi-Point 380, new,$150 out the door. I guess after all the fun I had painting the 45, I should think about getting it.

2. Challenger76

Challenger76 Member

I'd just go with the 9 it's the same size and ammo is cheaper and easier to find. I ordered the 380 and regret it.

3. 0311

0311 Member

For the $$$, I'm considering one of each. I already own other guns in all the calibers except 40.

You regret buying the 380? Why?

4. We have the 380 and love it, but then I reload. 22 like recoil makes the 380 outright fun to shoot. Considering it is the same gun as the C9 the gun can take very hot loads.

At wally world there is only about a dollars difference between 9 mm and 380. Shoot a lot either reload or sell brass to reloaders. 380 brass sells for more than 9mm brass. 380 is a much more economical choice than 9 for loading, 380 uses half the powder. And powder is no longer 9 bucks a pound, more like 30 bucks.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  5. tim

tim Member

I have a 380, actually 2, one of another brand & I don't shoot them much, basically because of ammo cost. I get 380 reloads occasional from Freedom Munitions, the Perfecta ammo at WalMart is $14.99, about the cheapest price around here for new ammo. Yes, I do like the light recoil, my Hi Point does shoot good, but 9mm is much cheaper & I can about shoot 40 cal for what 380 cost's. I've been shooting a lot of the Federal aluminum case ammo, $9.97 for 9mm & $14.99 for 40 & 45 cal. I wish they would come out with aluminum case 380, I've not seen any by Federal, has anyone else?

6. 0311

0311 Member

Picked up the 380 this afternoon. Slide seemed a bit tight so I decided to take it apart & clean it & maybe lube it up. Found the doll head to be cocked in the channel, Feels like there's a major burr in there. I want to hit it with a file or some rolled up sand paper. Whatcha' think?
    Then I spent the next hour trying to find the recoil spring guide rod. ( That thing has wings )

7. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    What I think? Well I think if you wrap fine sandpaper or emory cloth around a bamboo skewer it works great. Polish up the dolls head where it rides the channel too while you're at it.

8. 0311

0311 Member

Thank you Sir. I appreciate the reply.

On another subject, while I was at the FFL today, I had him give me a price on a 9mm in both the pistol & the carbine. During the conversation, I mentioned the exchange of mags between the pistol & the carbine. He said no such luck. Told him I had the same deal in 45 ACP, & he just shrugged his shoulders. Was he right?

9. cicpup

Vermont
    40 & 45? yes. 9? no, not really. Carbine mag will work in C-9 but wobbles. Other way around requires some clever parts swapping.

10. 0311

0311 Member

BUMMER ! Guess buy more mags right?

11. Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  12. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I have 3 x as many carbine mags as I do pistol mags. The 995 mags work fine in the C9, they just look odd & a little lose. But if I would need them to save my "B" hind, that BAD guy won't even notice!!!

13. Challenger76

Challenger76 Member

Well it's been 3 weeks and my 380 finally arrived but now I got delayed. I regret it because due to my own lack of research I found the c9 and the 380 are the same size. I was thinking the 380 would be smaller to conceal, but like I said it's my own fault. Plus 380 ammo cost quite a bit more in my area. I'd rather just have got the c9

14. cicpup

Vermont
    So hop on gunbroker and drop $30 on a C-9 barrel. Then do some more research.

You know? If you had just looked at a pic of one you would have seen it's not a pocket gun. Who the hell "orders" a gun they know nothing about?

15. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Now, you are on your way to the 1 of each club!

Order the C9, BUT not from the same gun dealer?
    You CAN'T have too many HP's!!!

16. 0311

0311 Member

Picked the 380 up from my FFL yesterday. Will get to the range with it next week
    Couple decent scratches on the slide, but I guess that's ok. Seems like the firing pin spring is a bit long, hard to get the doll's head to stay in place. I stays right near the end. Want to shoot a couple boxes through it before doing anything to it.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      50.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  17. Challenger76

Challenger76 Member

Well obviously I did, hello. Lol. I'm the black crayon ok stop pickin on me:p

18. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Don't fret the CF380. You will like it.

19. shadow460

shadow460 Member

I have both. Due to the compensator and the extended mags, my CF380 is a LOT bigger than my C9.
    I second the recommendation for reloading .380. If you go to the range a lot, build a brass catcher. .380 brass is pretty hard to find on the range floor because it's so similar to 9mm brass.
    I think my cost to load my own .380 is somewhere between $7 and $10 a box. It will drop even more when I start casting my own bullets.

20. 0311

0311 Member

Took the 380 to the range tonight. Ran a box of factory PPU, & a box of reloads. Ran great. Still think there could be a problem with the slide. Will try it again next week.
    Had a friend shoot it as well, was real impressed.
    Best "BUK FIDDY" I've ever spent.