3895...Really???

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by greg_r, Nov 18, 2015.

1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

At my favorite LGS and he tells me that his understanding is the 3895TS is just about ready to be released, they are doing final testing on it. Don't know where he got his info, but really? I have about given up on it as vaporware.

I am watching Gun Genie for the 995TS I have decided on for my Christmas gift, they have about 70 left. Hoping my LGS distributor gets one first, $247 vs $265. If my LGS can get one before the stock at Davidsons gets below 20, I'll save the $18. Why not,I won't be getting it before 12/25 anyway. If not I'll order through Davidson's. If the 3895 shows up before then I'll go that route.

Don't know why I like the 380 so much,but I do. Chamber it in 380 and you are 3/4 of the way to selling me one!

2. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Because you would be the 1st kid on your block with a 3895?

3. greg_r

Just because I really like the 380 round.

4. ndindy

ndindy Member

Download a 9mm, and you've got a 380 today, no need to wait. The only difference is case capacity and ultimately top end bullet weight. Plus going that route you have the ability to run the hotter rounds through it.

The .380 has it's niche, I'm personally not sure where the niche beyond pocket pistol is though. I have one of those, and it's fine for up close and personal where SD lives. And I consider the 380 to be the absolute minimum caliber for that role. In a long gun though, I don't see its usefullness. It has poor ballistics, medicore everything else compared to its bigger brother. In tiny pistols it's a little easier on the hands than a 9mm in the same size pistol but that's about it.

The 45 was years of rumor before they finally released it. Tomorrow is only a day away :laugh:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  5. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

What's wrong with $237 shipped from KYGUNCO today? do they have cooties? With the EU ban on semi auto's coming. And the possibility of big problems by Christmas in the U.S. (FBI warning) A friend of mine is trying to decide on getting an AR15 or buy the hardwood to finish his house..............he deals straight cash so.............

6. greg_r

Still $262 after FFL, and I'm cheap! :D

7. greg_r

Then I would have an underpowered 9mm that might or might not work. Chances are it would extract but fail to feed.

As to the use in a long gun? Why not? It will ring the gong as well as any of the PCC'S. I can assume you are a reloader, hence your first statement, so you know it is marginally cheaper to load than the 9mm, less lead and powder. I would not have a problem using any 380 for social work, pistol or carbine. I am not going to hunt with a PCC, I have better options.

So the bottom line is Why not? I like the 380.

8. SEP

SEP SEP Board Member

It isn't my intention to rain on anyone's parade or deride anyone's choice, so keep that in mind with my post please.

In reference to a 3895TS, I'm not really sure I understand why someone would choose this over one of the other offerings?

• From what I've seen, .380 is more expensive than 9mm for example. So for just plinking it would be more expensive to shoot.
    • From a SD perspective, a .380 doesn't have the capabilities of other service calibers. Doesn't mean it will bounce off a bad guy, but 9mm/.40 S&W/.45ACP are better choices overall for penetration and expansion.
    • I can't imagine recoil being a big factor as the 995TS recoils just slightly more than a good .22lr rifle. And the 4095TS/4595TS imo have very manageable recoil.

I suppose the only thing I can think of is if you have a .380 handgun and just want to consolidate on that one round. Am I missing something?

Thank you. :)

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Without trying to be a wang, this exact question has come up, and been answered, no less than 5 different times that I can think of, which means probably more.

To reiterate, there are several reasons why someone might choose a .380ACP Carbine over other calibers. These include:

• Consolidate calibers - The user wishes to "standardize" on the .380ACP. Perhaps he has multiple other firearms (handguns likely) in that cartridge.
    • Reloading - Reloading the .380ACP is fractionally less expensive than the 9mm Luger.
    • Recoil - The perceived recoil of a .380ACP carbine will undoubtedly be lower than the perceived recoil of even a 9mm carbine. It doesn't matter if you or I think the difference is marginal or too little to notice, there is a difference and the person choosing the carbine might be more sensitive to it than you or I.
    • Legal restrictions - There are many places, particularly some nations, which restrict their civilian population to "non-military" cartridges. This means that the .45ACP and the 9x19 Parabellum/Luger are not legally an option.
    • More energy - Despite the .380ACP's status as having less energy and "knockdown" power than other options such as the .45ACP or the 9mm, a great many people hunt and plink with carbines of far less "power," but particularly the .22LR.
    • More reliable ignition & action - Whatever the other perceived shortcomings of the .380ACP are, it is still a center-fire cartridge. The center-fire ignition means that it has more reliable ignition than rimfire .22LR or .22WMR (which can have similar energy levels to the .380ACP).
    • More reliable feed & extraction - Whatever the other perceived shortcomings of the .380ACP are, it is still a "rimless" cartridge. The rimless design means that it has more reliable feed extraction from a magazine than a rimfire .22LR or .22WMR (which can have similar energy levels to the .380ACP).

There are others, of course, but this is a pretty good list.

Maybe we should sticky this or something. The question gets asked a lot.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  10. 0311

0311 Member

I already have a Monkey Gun, & a 4595TS. Why wouldn't I want one in 380 ?
    I have the $$$ to buy one, I'd have to arrange some room for it in the safe, so what's the problem ? I have other guns in 380, & have plenty of ammo.

A better question would be why I don't have one in 40 ?

11. beaglenc

beaglenc Member

As said, recoil minimal, for home defense its pushin 400 ft/lbs at the muzzle with the "+p" stuff and that ain't nothing to sneeze at.
    My 10 yr old girl could manage that.

12. SEP

SEP SEP Board Member

Okay, why don't you have one in .40? :)

BTW, really like mine in .40 and already have lots of ammo for it since I also have a Glock 23. Recoil is just slightly more than the 995TS and very accurate.

13. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

My wife wants a 3895 Muddy Girl. She loves her 380 auto pistol and wants the same caliber in a carbine. She keeps reminding me that a 380 has plenty of close range power. And when Mamas happy.....you know the rest...lol !!!

14. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Life would suck without a 995TS.............and no .40? Once you recover from the S&W purchase.........? :D

Besides the 3895 is only being made in Muddy Girl pink camo :stir:

15. ndindy

ndindy Member

Heh, I don't think I've bought a single round of loaded ammo in a couple decades. The price difference between the 2 calibers (to load) would be so minor as to not notice it for a few thousand rounds. Even then I don't think you would save enough to buy a coke. Off the shelf I would guess, and it's only a guess, that reduced recoil 9mm would be about the same ft/lbs as a decent .380 load.

Downloading for a semi is always a bit of a risk, testing in the firearm is important. From personal experience I've had to download really stout calibers to really really anemic levels before I got FTF issues. That was done with a glock converted to 460 rowland, and that has a mother of a recoil spring to compensate for a mother of a round. Even then I was shooting loads that were super soft .45acp level loads. But every gun is different. For a plinker it's a minor issue, of a SD gun, major issue.

I reload both (and every other caliber it seems) mainly because I own SD pistols in both calibers. The .380 fits in my pocket usually, the 9mm is a bit too big. And once you start reloading, the only real cost is in a new set of dies. Everything else is just consumables and brass.

Off the shelf ammo the cost per round (at midwayusa.com) between the 2 is fairly comparable, more options with the 9mm than the .380 though. So again no real savings unless you crank off a ton of ammo.

So, I always say shoot what makes you happy. I just personally don't see the .380 in a long-gun usefulness. It's just too easy to replicate (for me) the little round and still be able to have a better range of ballistics with the larger rounds chambering.

16. 0311

0311 Member

Prejudice.

17. 0311

0311 Member

Hey, my wife reads these posts. You trying to get me in trouble,?

18. 0311

0311 Member

Seriously, of all of the guns I've owned, not one has been a 40. I really don't have a reason. Just never looked for one. Guess I would be reluctant to set up for another caliber. Who knows about the future !?

19. greg_r

Never really figured the cost difference in reloads between the 380 and 9mm. Plugged the numbers into my reloading cost calculator. I used the cost of the last pound of Unique powder I bought, looked up the cost of 5 pounds of Lyman #2 on line, plus the primers. The 380 showed to be $7.97 cheaper per 100 rounds. Not bad.

20. The .380 is nothing more than a 9mm short and more expensive and not so easy to get compared to the 9mm. Sort of like comparing a 22 long rifle and a 22 short, but to each his own. As a side note, when Hi Point returned my 995TS after repairing it, it was in a box marked 995TS and 3895TS. So at least they have the boxes ready......