3895?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by johnnyBgood, Jan 20, 2015.

1. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Don't be cryin' at least there is something happening for the first time in yeaaaaaaars....

2. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

I'm not really complaining about it, and am not surprised they made the .380 in carbine size. Just would have preferred something else.

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    380 carbine seemed to be right near the bottom, many knew it would be dead simple, but "why"? I'm still wondering "WHY"???:confused:
    Because they CAN, obviously.
    It makes economic sense, easiest to do... but who really wants an underpowered carbine when the 9, 40 and 45 are so easily obtained?

Listened to the LCD (lowest common denominator)
    380 makes good sense, for ladies and recoil sensitive older gentlemen, and those with a desire for a reasonably recoiling pocket gun. But in the carbine... It's not high on my "to buy" list. Now I see guys like Mel and Rich, OK, I'd want it too. But Mel was not really happy that he's one less gun to his goal of a complete HP collection! Tepid Reaction, it seems... I'll bet he's like most of the rest of us, wishing they had made hi-cap mags or a 1095 instead!:p

4. RobbK

RobbK Member

Seems to me that the 380 carbine has a very flat sheen to it. I wonder if they are chaging the finish on all the carbines.

5. SWAGA

6. undeRGRound

INDY
  7. undeRGRound

INDY
  8. bluharley

bluharley Member

Tula doesn't work in my BG .380

9. undeRGRound

INDY

Several Midway reviews aid that, but most anything works in a Hi Point.
    I have shot aluminum and steel out of my 995ts

10. SWAGA

11. RobbK

RobbK Member

I got to thinking that the 3895 might be a way to get more sales in Mexico. Civilians are limited to 380 acp there so it stands to reason that if you wanted to be able to advertise a pistol/carbine combo you would have to introduce a 380 carbine. It is not like it is costing Mom much as far as machineing to produce it.but it could mean a huge sales jump.

12. Hell,Ill buy one to go with my Hi-Point .380 handguns,hell yeah.

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yeah, that could definitely open up a lot of markets. Kel Tec offered the P11 in .380ACP, as a limited run, specifically for export. But they don't make them any more.

Here's the advantages I see:
    • Super easy to produce. Basically, you can use the same barrels as the 9mm and simply cut the chamber differently. The same barrel blanks, bore drills, and rifling buttons get used. Only thing that changes is the chamber cut. Heck, going by the slide weights on the C9 as compared to the CF380 (they're the exact same weight, ims), I don't think HP even has to change the weight of the Breach Block in the carbine from the 995. It's, literally, just a different barrel (which is super easy to make in this case) and different stampings on the side.
    • Allows caliber consolidation and Handgun/Carbine pairing. The latter option is a classic and dates back to the earliest metallic cartridge offerings. And with the vast array of .380ACP chambered handguns on the market today, it's easy to have a 3895TS for rifle, CF380/CF380COMP for bedside, an inexpensive pocket 380 such as the Denali, and maybe a Bersa Thunder in 10 or 15 mag capacity for belt carry (OC, IWB, or OWB, take your pick).
    • Opens up foreign markets for the carbine. It really is the easiest way to expand in foreign markets which dismissal M&P calibers for citizen use.

However, I'm not sure it could mean a "huge sales jump." Last I heard HP was selling everything they could make and were having a hard time keeping up with demand. While most rifle manufacturers, AR manufacturers in particular, have seen an (expected) decline in sales recently, certain manufacturers such as HP and Kel Tec, literally, can't make enough to satisfy demand.

I think that if exports are an important part of their decision, they're looking for measured growth and, more importantly, sustainability. Not so much a "huge sales jump." :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. I'll save my money for when they make something different . 380 is the best they could come up with give me a break

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  16. undeRGRound

INDY
    Yeah, that is mighty odd. Unless they use a semi-auto action, and that could be correlated with the action opening. But from my reading about BBTI's methods, I do not believe they use a semi-auto on their test barrels? Not sure:confused:

You forgot recoil spring changes. But they may change the reciprocating mass as well, to get it in the sweet spot for the 380 cartridge. Remember, they want it to run with as many 380 offerings as possible. Less warranty claims that way;)

17. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Can you use it to hunt bear:p

18. SWAGA

Yes, you shoot your hunting buddy and wait for the bear to choke on a bone.

19. this is why i hunt alone