3rd Mag & Explodes

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by carguy, Nov 12, 2015.

1. carguy

carguy Member

So, before I get flamed. I've been one who's stood up for hi point for years now. Yesterday we took a fresh from the box 45 to the range for its virgin run. I'll let the pictures do the taking for me. This happened mid way into the third mag.....

Attached Files:

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    You'll only get flamed if you blame that on Hi Point.

That's a squib load, it's the ammo, one round didn't exit the barrel, and then you did a dumb thing and shot a round into an obstructed barrel.

Send it back to the factory, they'll replace it for free.

3. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Exactly

It's stories like this that have given HP's a BAD rap!
    And MoM will fix it for FREE, even though it's not their fault!

4. Rerun

Rerun Member

Obvious blocked barrel discharge.

Probably by a squib.

Good call, ajole!

eldar

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Because the rifle is a Simple Blowback, wouldn't there be a tendency for the breech-block to open from pressure before the barrel ruptured?

Maybe a weak barrel in conjunction with a squib + 1?

Or maybe the 2nd round after the squib compressed the gas in the barrel between the first and the second bullet? But .45ACP is a comparatively low pressure round. Wouldn't it have the propensity to "stack" instead of rupturing?

Anyway, it happens to all brands. Do hi points blow up? Yes, in exactly the same circumstances as any other gun.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    One time me and a couple bros were rabbit hunting. A buddy standing beside me, split the end of the barrel on his very expensive Browning shotgun. Somehow he had plugged the barrel with mud. It looked like a flower opening up. As lKlawson posted it can happen to any firearm.

7. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Why would you be flamed?
    We're a Hipoint forum but not a cult lol not always anyway.
    I've never had a squib load but that sure looks like one.
    If you still have the ammo box with the batch number contact the manufacturer also.

8. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Not a HP issue. Simple case of Sh!t happens :foilhat:

9. ndindy

ndindy Member

Not really, it's just an obstructed barrel. Pressure happens right now, even with an open breach it's going to likely happen faster than the pressure can vent. All the pressure would have to vent immediately through the tiny little bore to keep all damage down. Plus that's not caused solely by the propellant burning. You have an air gap being compressed as the 2 bullets get closer together, and nowhere for that pressure to go except the minute amount that can escape around the bullets themselves, so that area is close to being sealed. Then you have the physical impact of the 2 bullets. There's a lot going on in a normally fired round, exponentially more with an obstructions. Odds are the severity of the damage is lower than if it had been a sealed breach but you're still getting damage.

That is one of the major hazards of rapid fire. If you're going slow you'll likely notice that something went wrong with that round. If you're going as fast as you can odds are the damage is done before you brain has time to process and warn you.

A simple blowback actin is the sole reason that many major failures are survivable to start with. If the failure happens close to the breach (or a short barrel like a pistol) there is almost unlimited space for the failure to fail to fail (hehehehe). The longer the barrel is and the further from the breach the failure happens, the stronger the likelihood for damage.

With a failure IN an open breach, you basically have a firecracker going off in an open hand. Sting, but no damage. The further in the barrel the failure happens, the closer the hand is to being fully closed on that firecracker until you end up with some missing fingers.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I recall the Iraqveteran8888 test of the C9, which included hammering an actual bolt into the barrel and then firing a round.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

11. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    You call it a weak barrel. I call it a good job keeping shrapnel out of his face. Although I really wish it had banana peeled like a Bugs Bunny Cartoon.

12. ndindy

ndindy Member

Oh please. Be realistic about what you expect. This was just a run of the mill obstruction and the damage seen is pretty representative of what can happen with this caliber.

Anyone with 1/2 a brain realizes that unless you stick your finger in the end of the barrel you'll never get it to banana peel. Geez, some peoples kids :rolleyes: :laugh:

13. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Maybe Bugs Bunny was right. Maybe bullets DO need a running start?:p

14. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    hoping you guys figure it out ;)

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I'm just trying to figure out if a "Car Guy" would post a pic of a stalled Camaro on the Chevy Owners forum, griping about a POS car because the watery gas he thought was OK made it die, even after he defended it to all the Ford guys?:confused:

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

To be fair, I don't recall seeing him call it a POS.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

17. It might not have been a squib. He said fresh out of the box. Did you clean the gun before you took it to the range. Possible factory oil build up and third mag through could have gotten gunked up with over oil from factory and gun powder build up. Just a thought. Glad you weren't hurt!

18. talon

talon the banned wagon

Even HP tells you not to clean it til almost 1000 rounds. It wasn't factory oil buildup. And 3 mags thru it ( like the title states ) would have easily cleared any factory lube.

19. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Nope the first few rounds would of blown out the oil and crap. Its a classic squib. Can happen to any gun or shooter not paying attention.

This is what happens to a 12 ga with a 20 ga loaded first than a 12 ga after :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Attached Files:

20. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

You sound like a democrat?