Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I recently had several fail to fires. I tried different ammo with the same results. I stripped the gun and found that my firing pin spring was broken in two pieces and tangled together. I guess the firing pin wasn't fully engaging because of this. I called Hi-point and they sent me a new firing pin package consisting of a firing pin, a short fat spring and a long skinny spring. The long one was the spring I needed.

I replaced the spring and reassembled the gun. When I pull back on the slide I can hear the 2 springs binding and compressing together making a crunching sound. I know they are installed correctly because they can only be installed one way. It doesn't sound right and I'm guessing that had something to do with the spring breaking in the first place. If this is the case it's going to break again. Is this just a simple(cheap) design?

Can anyone else with a JCP 40 chime in and give me some feedback?

G

·
I recently had the same problem, I contacted iberia and they told me its ok to make that sound, I still dont know how its ok. Im on my second firing pin and spring assembly, My first made that sound everytime I cocked it. They said they changed to the smaller outer spring from the black solid piece because it increases the pins power. My last firing pin did not break but became very compressed. It was around 1/4" shorter than my new spring. I suppose if this is how its going to work im going to go through many springs from them. Anyone else have any ideas??

·
Registered
88 Posts
I noticed that grinding sound and was mystified... until I realized that I was working the slide when it was already cocked.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I can rack mine most of the way back normally, and then right before the slide gets to the point where you can lock it back it gets kind of jammed up, and it takes a little more force to push it back, and after that point is when it starts making that noise.
the trigger pull also feels a little bit off. It feels like I have to pull it back farther than normal, and with a lot more force.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I believe that sleeve was replaced by the shorter bigger spring wasn't it?

·
Registered
313 Posts
i think that is a horrendous setup if that is the case and would never buy a jcp40 if that is the current design. Just from the logistics aspect of looking at it ..the sleeve should be the barrier between the two different spring sizes as binding is just a GIVEN. And honestly for real could not fathom that being a factory design recommendation without a sleeve between the two in the small cavity they travel in.

I can see the goal being accomplished with the two springs one heavier and one lighter with a bigger caliber pistol but without anything between the two springs to separate them, having the two springs is redundant and defeats its purpose.

Either one heavier spring or two springs with a sleeve in between two keep them in line with each other accomplishing the desired resistance during blowback.  Or..that heavier spring is missing a spring cap to keep the smaller spring from riding through it similar to what my 9mm has as an end cap to ball.

G

·
That's the way the C9 is too. That's why you feel the extra Tension when you lock the slide back.
The JHP .45 has one spring with the plastic sleeve and no extra spring.
They both seem to work fine in mine.
I lightly oil both springs so they don't bind.

Hope this helps, Rich

·
Registered
69 Posts
That's the way the C9 is too. That's why you feel the extra Tension when you lock the slide back.
The JHP .45 has one spring with the plastic sleeve and no extra spring.
They both seem to work fine in mine.
I lightly oil both springs so they don't bind.

Hope this helps, Rich
I'll give that a try, thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
been reading the posts on firing spring issues and decided to toss my 2 cents worth in as well, i bought my jcp 40 abt 2 months ago so its not that old, my last trip to the range i put 300 rounds of various factory rounds thru it with the occasional jam and stove pipe but nothing serious, my firing pin assembly only has one long somewhat small spring with what looks like a piece of small heatshrink tubing over the spring, when did they start/stop using the 2 spring setup?

·
Registered
125 Posts
The one spring fits into the firing pin assembly. As long as you did that, I can't see you going wrong.

As others have said, they did change away from the sleeve to a two spring set up (at least in the C9). Mine crunched for a while but then that disappeared. A little lube might help too as mentioned.

Splitter

G

·
Fired the .40 today, Put 100 rounds down range and had zero fail to fires. zero jams, the gun performed flawlessly. Watch when placing the larger spring around the smaller one that you dont bind it when putting back together.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a C9 and it only has one firing pin spring and a plastic sleeve. No cap between the ball and the spring and no double spring, I got it used a couple of weeks ago but was assured that it was almost new. Is something wrong with that? Which should I have?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks Rich. You gave me my next reason to call Beemiller for something. I should have my package from them today. I think, I live 2 hours away. I could've went and got it they are so close. Wonder if I could do that instead of shipping? Of course I would have spent all day with my gun. I only spent half a day. LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.