Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
Re: 40JPH Slide broken in half - not mine

This was an older post over there, do you have the link, I think the possible reason was given. I know there were lots of comments like "look they are made of pot metal" and "looks like they make them from moon rocks", stuff like that. It may have just been a faulty casting or a massive overpressure.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

This was an older post over there, do you have the link, I think the possible reason was given. I know there were lots of comments like "look they are made of pot metal" and "looks like they make them from moon rocks", stuff like that. It may have just been a faulty casting or a massive overpressure.
the link is in the team ar15.com board which is restricted to paying members. typical hp bashing ensues. i know glocks get a lot of flack for the kbs that were experienced in the .40 a while back due to an unsupported chamber but this is the first time i've seen a slide apart like that outside a kb.

it doesn't look like a kb, the barrel looks to be ok, most of the time, wouldn't the chamber be destroyed?

G

·

If it was not staged,I would just say a bad casting.I can't even figure how it would have that much stress in that area.But it is the section with the least material.And it looks like the slide pin is still intact so it didn't fly off.
I bet if you sent it back to hi point,They'd like to see it and you'd probably get a phone call, and a new one Fast as lightning.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts

:bs: ..... and let me explain why:

Alot of the clamps that hold smaller lighting instruments onto a light grid are made of a similiar ZAMAK3 alloy. When they DO break, they do so in a very fragmented manner because there is no grain for them to follow. Also, they will break at the weakest point of the casting.

The .40 in the pic has nearly a clean line just before the breach. An UNUSUALLY clean line. Under stress, a fracture would be just that: A fracture. Also, notice how the weapon in the picture seems to of failed at the thickest part of the slide the most even.

Doesn't this seem unusual? Especially considering that most metal failures occur at the thinnest or most worked portion of the metal?

And lastly: How could such a "clean" break (I'm not even going to call it a fracture) have not one trace of chipping or damage to the surrounding finish of the slide, especially when the pin that holds the slide assembly to the weapon is fairly snug in there and does NOT allow for the slide to bounce back beyond it's mounting point?

I say it was rigged. Bold to say I know, but speaking as someone who is used to working with that alloy quite often and as someone who is an educated engineer, I'm not fully buying it. If a round DID fail in that weapon, we'd be seeing ALOT more damage on that slide. I mean, look at other weapons that have had failures during a firing and you will see quite a bit of fragmentation and scarring, ESPECIALLY on hardened steel slides!!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts

I'll do some searching around too, but I've seen these pics before a while ago. I recall it was a "failure" but under extreme repeated circumstances. Golly, I wish I could find that link........

G

·

Look at the third picture on the right side.Does that look like a gouge on the right side of the ejection port?
I'm just trying to see where the impact was where they Broke it. Is this like a CSI episode :angel:
Also I wonder If HP ever got this back and if not Why?
I agree with NEO. I don't quite buy it.

·
Registered
258 Posts

In most pics the metal appears to be very clean and shiny in the broken areas except #5 at about the 2-5 o'clock position from the firing pin which appears darkened. Most fatigue/flawed casting failures I've seen start out with a crack in an area thats been there for a while allowing it to get dirty before the whole thing lets go. That said a crack may have been there but the break almost appears as though the slide may have been secured somehow with force applied in one direction to finish the break. I have no formal schooling but many years of hands on working with hydraulics and other heavy equipment under extreme pressure on machines that use milled and cast steel and aluminum parts and molds. Don't guess we will have any idea what type of loads were being used.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts

I have only broken my HP down once or twice and it has been a long while but if the gun had failed like that wouldn't the end of the slide fly forward because of the spring? or am I way off?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts

If I had to guess, I'd say it failed the "hacksaw" test...

I call shenanigans!!!

G

·

This would be a good Myth Buster episode.Could you ever brake a HP slide in half.
You know Those guys,They'll pack it so full of gunpowder and plug the end of the barrel till they find out what it would take. :angel:

And yes,the front of the slide would have shot right off cause of the spring.It must not be in there for the pictures which are so nice and clear and just happen to be at a gun range.

Rich

·
Registered
1,225 Posts

I agree with the hack saw theory, lines are to clean and straight to Be a true stress failer, this is just a put on to forward a dumb a$$ agenda against Hi Point.

Let me pose this question, If this is as we think could Hi Point take legal action ?
I know it would be hard to prove just thinking out loud

Jet

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

seriously? you guys think that it was hacksawed or done on purpose to fulfill some agenda? as for the pics, some camera phones can take great pics now and iphone can take really good pics. i don't know what the story behind it is but the autoresponse that is has to be fake or part of an agenda is just silly.

neo has posed the best argument about the metal properties on it so far.

but when it comes down to the facts, the hipoint is big and bulky because the material they use to cheaper and for the slide to have the same mass, they have to use more of the material. they aren't trying to compete with other pistols. they are trying to fill a niche market at a certain pricepoint. with that, they have chosen to use a material that most pistol manufacturers don't use. if it was so good and doesn't sacrifice reliability, why haven't we seen other manufacturers use it?

obviously this is a rare occurence, if it happened more often, i'm sure we would have heard about it. i talked to one guy who managed a local indoor range and he said he has seen a hipoint slide come off the pistol forward of the firing line. i see no reason why he would bs me.

more plausible is that there was a problem with this slide to begin with. sometimes things slip by qa. or it could have been an overcharged round. if you look at kbs, they usually fail at the weakest points, blowing out the magwell and magazine is almost always present due to the gas needing to take the path of least resistance. it could be the slide is weaker than the barrel and it took the brunt of the pressure.

there's 2 kinds of failures, a premature failures when there is something with inherently with the product that gets exposed during use and then there's failure due to wearing out over it's life cycle. this looks like a p

the response and tone this thread has taken would lead most people to think that we are all hipoint kool aid drinkers and that they are the perfect flawless pistol. things happen, guns break and hipoint warranty will fix them. it's a great warranty but that doesn't necessarily make it a great product.

i do own a 995 and a c9 but my c9 is just a range toy due to magazine capacity and size/weight. also i haven't put enough rounds thru it to feel completely confident with it.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

LATEST POST:

i got a note so i checked it out.

the guys at the hi-point forum have re-posted the pics and are now calling BS on this.

let's be real clear. it was a used pistol but it didn't exhibit any signs of abuse or excessive wear. the shooter/owner had put in total about 100 rounds of winchester white box down range. no idea how many rounds it had seen before but it *was* in good shape.

i HATE hi-points but i would never destroy a weapon just to repeat what we already know. this event just drives home the point even more. this happened yesterday, saturday the 28th. the owner was extremely disappointed, he's out a pistol. myself and the other shooter are going to make it up to him. the other guy is a pistol instructor and i just opened my own firearms business. we're going to get him and his wife some training (to fix his issues) and i'm going to get him a Glock at dealer cost (to fix the weapon issue).

me, yesterday, in the cold. (you can see where i removed part of the owners face from the pic. he's ashamed to have owned such a POS)

·
Premium Member
285 Posts

Definitely not a hacksaw job, and I doubt it was done in a vise. The nice shiny grain says it was a clean fracture. They may have done something to precipitate it, but applying a sideways force to it would have done some sort of deformation to the metal. Not much, but just a little so that the area that saw the deformation would be slightly duller (more dull?). Having worked with a lot of brittle fracture failures, I'd say this is a good example of rapid fracture.

Just looking at the pics, I'm going to give them this one. Probably a bad casting.

·
Registered
984 Posts

My post from AR15.com:

As a member of both forums, all I will say is that most likely it was not forcefully damaged to cause this destruction, but certainly the owner needs to take time to field strip, clean, and inspect the weapon he buys from a pawn shop before he shoots it.

I bought my Hi Point from a pawn shop...paid $160...that gun excelled in everything it did, from making smiley faces on targets at 35ft to putting a 10rd mag inside of a dollar bill at 100yds (not bad for a 9mm with a $20 scope slapped on it)

I would personally not own an HP pistol if I had a choice, but that is because I don't like the ergonomics on the handguns...the carbines, on the other hand, are incredible for their price and are great for home defense...

My Hi Point Carbine shot 9mm with an NcStar scope on it...a trifecta of fail, if you wish to call it that...yet it not once let me down...

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

My post from AR15.com:

As a member of both forums, all I will say is that most likely it was not forcefully damaged to cause this destruction, but certainly the owner needs to take time to field strip, clean, and inspect the weapon he buys from a pawn shop before he shoots it.

I bought my Hi Point from a pawn shop...paid $160...that gun excelled in everything it did, from making smiley faces on targets at 35ft to putting a 10rd mag inside of a dollar bill at 100yds (not bad for a 9mm with a $20 scope slapped on it)

I would personally not own an HP pistol if I had a choice, but that is because I don't like the ergonomics on the handguns...the carbines, on the other hand, are incredible for their price and are great for home defense...

My Hi Point Carbine shot 9mm with an NcStar scope on it...a trifecta of fail, if you wish to call it that...yet it not once let me down...
good post. there's always gonna be hp bashing, we don't need to feed it by being kool aid drinkers. call it what it is.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.