40 jcp with some serious burring

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by rippinryno, May 6, 2015.

1. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

I cleaned my 40 for the 3rd time in it's life. This time i let it go about 1000rds before doing the take down cleaning. I noticed much more wear on the metal this time. I have burring inside the slide toward the rear where the dollhead and firing pin and springs ride inside that tunnel. I tried to file it as smooth as i could, there are several spots with good size burrs. I also noticed burring in other parts of the slide as well as feed ramp area where the slide slams into the barrel area.

Is this normal. I've got several other hand guns that have 1000's of rounds through them and I haven't seen this type of damage or "break in" if that's what it is. I also notice that under the slide, while on the gun, i can actually see a deep groove that has worn, hi point told me this was normal as i noticed it after only 100 rds. This jcp has about 1500 rounds through it, it still fires and shoots flawlessly, but i did want to run these details by you guys since many of you know what's normal and not.

Thank you

2. tone

tone Member

Mine looks like that, I didn't clean it until I started getting light primer strikes. It was bad. But I cleaned it up and shoots great again so I'm not worried about it.

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Those two sentences pretty much sum it up.

"Party on Garth"

4. rippinryno

in reference to what hi point said was normal, that was only the groove that became visible on the slide after 100rds. the burring im' talking about is under the slide when you remove it, right where the dollhead rides in there. if it's all good i won't bother worrying about it. I just notice a ton of wear on this firearm compared to others. the finish inside the slide and on the barrel just chipping away lol. not complaining at all but i can tell it wears pretty rough with all the nics and burrs iv'e got.

5. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    In the channel? Can you post a pic? Only thing that could be is a burr on the dolls head, firing pin or there was some solid debris floating around in there.

The slide is made of a rather soft metal. There's much more wear than many other firearms. But it's also built to withstand it and still work as it should.

6. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    One thing to keep in mind is that the powder coating can come away in flakes, giving the appearance of abnormal wear, compared to parkarized or tenifered finishes. I noticed that particular characteristic inside the slide of my JHP. As long as you don't see a whole lot of heavy scoring directly into the shiny metal, underneath, your wear shouldn't be anything unusual.

7. rippinryno

Co pup I'll grab some pics for ha.