.40 or .45?

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by SPCsierra, Jan 4, 2016.

1. I recently bought a High Point C9 used and loved it so now I want to buy a new one. I cant decide if I want the .40 or .45 and was hoping to get some insight.
    Let me know what you think

Thanks
    SPCsierra

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    .40. Cheaper to feed, equal or better ballistics in most loadings.

3. GKC

GKC Lifetime Supporter

The .40 and .45 Hi-Point models are essentially the same gun, so it really comes down to the caliber. I prefer the .45, even though the ammo generally costs more, because the .40 is less pleasant to shoot (for me.) Also, with a Thingmeister mag catch, you can select from a wide variety of 1911 magazines....you can't do that with a .40! Finally, .45 ACP is just more...American. :D

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    So...remind me...who developed the .40, and what country are they from?:D

Just a younger American.;)

One who isn't old, fat and slow, like me...:(

5. RobbK

RobbK Member

My favorite hi points are my 4095ts and jcp

6. Asher1

Asher1 Member

I would suggest you shoot both... I just haven't shot any gun in 40cal that I liked the recoil... To me, the 9mm is a slight snap, the 45 is more of a slow push, and the 40 is like someone slapping my hand..

Go shoot both and make your decision, I highly doubt I will ever own anything in 40cal... Just personal preference...

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I agree with most of that...but the JCP is heavy, and tames the .40 well.

I have a couple of .40 carry guns...I like them for that, but for a range toy, they are a bit snappy to use much.

8. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

I have both, a JHP 45 and a JCP 40. I like shooting the 45 more than the 40. The 45 is incredibly accurate and makes up for my mediocre marksmanship. The 40 is less so. Also, my JCP 40 mag still wants to hold the rounds slightly nose-low, requiring a palm slap to have them seat correctly which is kind of lame. That's never an issue with the 45.

9. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

It all comes down to what you want in round count. You can simply put more 40's in the mag than 45. I love the 45 to shoot. It's just a more tame round. The 40 is a firecracker in your hand. The ballistics figures are way up there. You can find it on the net. Awesome round IMO ;)

10. Rerun

Rerun Member

I went straight to the JHP after having so much fun with my used C9.

eldar

11. Rerun

Rerun Member

Isn't that one of those thigh exercise thingies that Suzanne Somers used to advertise...?

eldar

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2016
  12. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

You need to try out my hand rolled .40's if you think factory are snappy.

13. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Elder is wise.

14. GKC

GKC Lifetime Supporter

A question that has stumped even the wisest sage...

15. Thanks everybody. I'm really leaning toward the .45 (thats the JHP right?) hopefully I'll be getting it this Friday. I'll post a range report when I take it out.

16. Just picked up my JHP and a box of shells for about $210!! Can't wait to get to the range

17. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

Good deal, enjoy the new shooter.

I think you were good, either way that you went.

18. GKC

GKC Lifetime Supporter

Congratulations!

And to answer your earlier question about Thingmeister (other than my silly one) he is a member here who makes accessories for Hi-Points, and for the .45, a mag catch that allows you to use 1911 magazines.

19. Hansj3

Hansj3 Supporting Member

.45, only because they don't make a .46