Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do they make .40 S and W with a rounded nose on it????

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I've never seen a FMJ with a round point, but the I think the Powerball ammo does have the polymer ball in the hollowpoint cavity which gives it a rounded tip.

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, would a rounded nose be more accurate??

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'll probably be corrected here, But:
My idea is that a Pistol ".40, .45, 9mm, .38 sp, and so on" is about impact (stopping power) and grouping at a close distance.
We train at 3 yards, 7 yards, and 12 yards. Anything past that is OK, but if "Heaven forbid" we get into or need are pistols, chances are it will be at very close range.....

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
First question is why? The flat nose causes more damage to the target, unless its a feeding issue. The closest I've found is some Ultramax reloads that have a small (pencil lead sized) flat on the very tip. I believe they are using Ranier or Berry's plated bullets. Some of the photos I've seen of the Russian stuff looked like it may have had a full round nose.

The Ultramax is OK at 25 yards, but the plated bullets are inconsistent, and at longer ranges start to be erratic. Out of either a Glock (shudder) or my 4095 at 100 yards a shot gun and buckshot is more accurate. This isn't a .40 caliber issue its an issue with plated bullets, as I've had the same issues with .357 mag, and .45 ACP.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I just loaded up some Rainier Plated truncated cone bullets for my .40S&W. I also have some of their round nose flat point bullets for the .40S&W that I'm going to load up. Looking forward to seeing how these bullits perform.

As to the "WHY?". A round nose bullet has a better aerodynamic flight characteristic than the truncated cone or wadcutter style bullets. It splits the air better with a lot less resistance and loss of velocity over range. For most handgun work, the ranges are short and the bullets all perform about equally well. It's when the ranges start to exceed 50 yards that the round nose and spitzer point bullets design start to come into play. JMHE. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Round nose bullets for the 4095 would be nice... it would make an already accurate weapon even more so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.