Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a .40 S&W Hi-Point pistol, and I’m having issues with setting the rear sight. It’s shooting very “low”, at 10 yards and over. I have moved the sight as high as it will go but that has not helped.

I’ve tried different brands of bullets with different grains, but that hasn’t help ether. I have adjusted the rear sight screw so high that it’s very loose, and I’m afraid to loosing it. I’ve spoke with a Hi-point repairperson and he stated a replacement of the barrel may help.

With the cost of shipping with FEDEX OR UPS over $50.00, "that 1/4 the cost
of the purchase price". The dealer also wants a high amount for shipping too.
One person on your forum suggested shipping it as machine parts, but if it's
lost in shipping I'm out one pistol.....

Any advice on repairing this pistol, I would replace the barrel myself but I'm
worried of making a bigger mess. I've read never to take a part this pistol
because it will take a gunsmith to put it back together..

Any advice would be helpful

·
Registered
38 Posts
Have you tried the ghost sight? I am curious if you just have some screwed up sights.
As for taking the gun apart. That is just not true at all. I have had my 9mm/40/45 with every spring/pin/part laying out on the kitchen table. Easy as pie to disassemble and reassemble. Simple. First few times just have a copy of your gun in the exploded view....very basic firearm these Hi Point.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Why on earth would the shipping be over 50bucks? Last pistol I shipped out for warranty work cost me 8 and change. That was through UPS. Sounds like your carrier is trying to rip you a new one.

Tt

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
It seems to me that if you raise the rear sight the front sight goes down & shoots lower, So run the rear sight down & that should raise your point of impact up! anyone correct me if I'm wrong!

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
If you raise your rear sites your gun will shoot lower. Lower the rear sights your gun will shoot higher.
Um I think you're both wrong on that if the bullet is hitting below point of aim you would indeed raise the rear sight. That will make you raise the barrel to get proper sight picture. The front sight is the one that moves toward the error. In other words if you were hitting low and shaved some height off the front sight lowering it, you would then make POI higher. The rear sight works the other way you move it away from where its hitting or toward where you want it to hit in other words. Am I saying this clearly? Let me just try this as it seems I'm rambling.

The general rule is the rear sight is moved in the SAME direction you wish to move the point of impact.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do have a ghost ring, and have not tried it. Used ghost rings on a rifle before, but hated it. But I'll give it a
shot on my .40 HP. I did ask the Hi-point tech about using the ghost ring, and if would help this problem.
He stated, "no, the only way to possibly solve this problem is replacing the barrel".

I plan to visit USP Tuesday, there phone rep's didn't know the difference between a pistol and shotgun!!!!!

In reference to sight position, you raise your rear sight to raise your point of impact.

If worst comes to worst, I'll have Hi-point mail me a new barrel. Then I'll try replacing it myself, with Gods help
and this forum I should make it through.

Thank you for all your helpful comments......

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you raise your rear sites your gun will shoot lower. Lower the rear sights your gun will shoot higher.
Um I think you're both wrong on that if the bullet is hitting below point of aim you would indeed raise the rear sight. That will make you raise the barrel to get proper sight picture. The front sight is the one that moves toward the error. In other words if you were hitting low and shaved some height off the front sight lowering it, you would then make POI higher. The rear sight works the other way you move it away from where its hitting or toward where you want it to hit in other words. Am I saying this clearly? Let me just try this as it seems I'm rambling.

The general rule is the rear sight is moved in the SAME direction you wish to move the point of impact.
You know I re-read my post and said "dumba**".....of course you are right....move your sights the way you want the POI to go....holy moly I am getting old and need to read before I hit the "post" button :)
Oh well...time for another shot of Geritol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.