.40 S&W vs .45 cal carbine

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by Doc53, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Doc53

Doc53 Guest

Everyone has been anxiously awaiting the .45 carbine for years now. Will it be better than the .40 S&W just because it is a larger caliber? For a pistol, I would prefer the .45 cal. for the typical 25 yd or less shot. But for 100 and 200 yard shots with a carbine, which caliber has the better terminal ballistics? We won't know for sure until the Hi-Point .45 carbine comes out, but some of you may have had experience with the discontinued .45 Marlin Camp carbine.

2. Ari

Ari Guest

I got to tell you the 45 acp does great at range! I have seen 45 acp from a 1911 hit the steel plate at 200 yards. And when it hits it rings loud. I have seen many shots out to 75 yards with a 1911 knocking over steel plates. If I can find a video of it I will post it.

The British had a silenced 45 carbine in WWII they would make 350 yard shots with it.

3. The 4595 is just a pipe dream thats not coming true any time soon.

4. It's not a pipe dream... they're still making progress on it, they just want to make sure it's "just right" before they put it out. They have a functional prototype right now, the CEO's still dissatisfied with the barrell though.

5. Lashlarue

Lashlarue Guest

Title of this thread should be racehorse vs unicorn, one is real and one is a myth!

6. The 45 is a good round, I first shot one back in 1977 (pistol and submachine gun) and I have shot it often since.

I am new to the .40 S&W, but personally am impressed with it, and would trust it to do any job that the .45ACP would do.

7. I would bet the 40 cal. is cheeper to feed than the 45 will be.But it would be nice to have with the pistol