Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some input for you guys with 40sw carbines. Reliability, ammo situation, etc.

Thinking of working out a trade of some sort on one of my 995s for a 40sw or just buying outright if I like what I hear.

·
Premium Member
10,338 Posts
If you want to customize it a lot, get a 995. Its pretty accurate, ammo costs a ton more though.

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
I can only speak to the ammo. I've not had a big problem getting 40 ammo, not sure how the other parts of the country fares. I go through a good bit, and my stocks are still at a good level.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wasnt thinking of doing a custom. Just looking for carbine that uses the 40SW round and really see the sub-2000 and Beretta as being overpriced in this market. This damn Obama market is making me crazy I really would like a 45ACP carbine but not much to pick from. :blink:

Maybe just put a Beretta on lay away since if Im going to over pay may as well get as good as I can.

Wish there were more carbines being made today theres a serious shortage of models since marlin and Ruger got out.

Oh and thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
I had the chance to play with the CX4 at the last IDPA shoot. Let me qualify this, I am a huge Beretta fan. I liked the stylings of the carbine especially the ergonomics. For pure shooting aspects, I couldn't tell any difference between the HP or the CX4. CX4 has the 17 round mags in the 9mm I shot, not sure about the .45 I would imagine 10-12 but I would have to dig out the catalogue, and I'm lazy and angry since Jr had a bad race...again! :p

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
8 shots on the 45 at least from the factory.

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
That sounds about right. Another thing about the Beretta vs HP. 3 year warranty on the CX4 and sometimes the warranty work can be a b---- with Beretta. Though they are built to tighter tolerances than the HP. The price point is a killer too.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sounds about right. Another thing about the Beretta vs HP. 3 year warranty on the CX4 and sometimes the warranty work can be a b---- with Beretta. Though they are built to tighter tolerances than the HP. The price point is a killer too.
Yeah aint that the truth.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you have more than one 995 and can trade one towards a 40, I'd say go for it. If you would have to give up your only 995 for a 4095, I'd say pass.

I love my 995 and my 4095. That being said, I have put more rounds through my 995 due to cheaper ammo and because I got it earlier.

Both carbines work fine although I have had a few FTF issues with my 40 that I did not have with my 9. I attribute this to break-in.

As for accuracy, so far they seem to be about the same. BUT, based on my experience with another .40 carbine, I expect my 4095 to be more consistent at long range because of a flatter trajectory. I have tested my 995 at 25, 50 and 100 yards but haven't yet done as much testing with my 4095, yet.

As for ammo cost, it was around $9.99 for 9mm and $13.99 for .40 six months ago- UMC, American Eagle ,etc. Now it's out of stock or even $20 a box for both! That's insane and I hope and expect it to come back down. Who knows.

My long-winded two cents.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have multiple 995s need a 4095 for two reasons.

Ammo availability, usually one or the other can be found.

Much better ballistics and penetration from the 40SW which are only increased by the longer carbine barrel. This is important for SD and hunting as well. There are times I would hesitate to take a shot with 9mm that I wouldn't hesitate with the 40. 40SW is about 10% higher than 9mm but its not a round I toss away at the range after break in so i wouldn't have to stock tons of range ammo only a few hundred SD. True there not the ability to modify it like 9mm but Im cool with that.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you have a 1911 this is a killer carbine: Mech Tech Systems CCU

No FFL required
Interesting but that would be a $1000 rifle for just the base unit. Wouldn't be bad if I had one with blown barrel or something though.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Keep the 995 and buy you a 4095. It's a nice carbine with more punch than the 9mm and is very accurate even at 100 yards. Ammo for it is more expensive but get yourself a bullet mould and reloading setup for it. That way the ammo cost goes way down if you can find the primers at a reasonable price.

Plus, it's a rather relaxing past time to pour your own bullets and roll your own ammo for these guns. They'll eat anything you want to stuff into them.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ive noticed the 995 is much more forgiving with ammo than my C9 so it does ok with the lead then?

Looked more in depth on the Kel-Tec sub2000. Costs more than a HP and has some very odd problems due to the folding. Like the idea of hiding a carbine in a backpack though. That could really be handy in a lot of situations.

As for just buying a 4095 i have to find one first.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not closing properly and even trying to open up while firing due to recoil working on the locking cam. It is rare but they all seem to know about it on some of the kel-tec forums. The idea kind of put me off of the weapon.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I know I am repeating myself here, but I have both the 995 and the 4095. I bought the 995 new and the 4095 used. I have fired more lead reloads through both of them than commercial. I have not had a problem with ftf's because I worked on the mags (3 for each rifle) before I fired them. Once the mags will feed a whole mag manually, they are suitable for live fire. I have been using some 140g lead bullets in the 4095 with great results. I have even fired several mags of PLASTIC bullets with no powder (have to operate the bolt between rounds) in the 995 with only a few misfeeds. Also, after tweaking the trigger spring for better feel, I like the 4095 better.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After I saw a guy hide a Sub2000 in a laptop case and slap a faux cover on it I bought one. Its as dependable or more so than the 4095 though not as accurate its good enough. in my BoB now and I dont plan on running thousands of rds though it. Of course I like the 4095 more but hiding that sucker is tough.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
My take: We see far fewer complaints or problems with the 4095. It holds open with last round. Better rd than the 995. Ammo is more expensive but not much higher with current demand. More LEAs have switched to the .40. Recoil is less with the 4095 and it is more quiet than the 995.
Only drawback is accessories. Lack of. HP says the new stock will be avail for purchase in August

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.