Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older Gen 1 4095 Carbine with 5 orange follower 10rd mags. 1 mag was giving me stoppages so recently I ordered a new mag from HiPoint. It was shipped from Strassell's Machine Inc and is stamped 10mm/ 40 s&w. I tried the new mag this afternoon and had nothing but problems. The first round loaded fine but when it fired the next round stove piped. I cleared that, recharged the weapon and click, failed to strip round from mag. Recharged and fired that and the next 7 rounds and then another stoppage. The follower in the mad was stuck with 2 rounds loose in the mag body. Dumped the loose rounds out and smacked the mad against the stock and freed the follower. Reloaded the last 2 rounds and click, again failed the strip a round from the mag, recharged and fired the last 2 rounds. My question is, why are they using the same mag for two different calibers when the rounds are different lengths? Is that what is causing the failure to strip of round?

·
Administrator
24,489 Posts
Look at the magazine itself. The same size mag body are used for .40, .45, and 10mm. The older .40 S&W mags came with a different follower and plastic strip spacer in front of the follower to bridge the gap in length.

It's also possible that you may need to clean the injection mold flash off of the follower, work the spring up and down several dozen times, leave the magazine loaded when not in use, and adjust the feed lips. Some people like to break the new mags down and clean them, then hit them with a dry lube to help keep the follower from sticking.

If you have a true Gen 1 monkey stocked .40, it may not have the LRHO feature. I can't remember if those came out before or after the LRHO design change occurred, like the original 995's have some with and some without.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The bolt locks open after the last round. I had actually loaded the mag 3 days before I was able to shoot the carbine. The followers look identical except the old mags have orange followers and the new mag has a blue follower. The feed lips on the new mag are longer.
IMG_20210528_222935.jpg IMG_20210528_223045.jpg IMG_20210528_223030.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
I might try this. Buy a spray can of Teflon or Silicone Garage Door lubricant from a hardware store. Use what ever to push that follower all the way to the bottom of the mag if you can. Then, hold it there and spray the the inside of the mag/mags.
This has worked well for me over many years. If not, then you will need to take mag apart and look for follower burrs, etc. Like Rach said.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I have some Liquid Wrench Dry Lube I'm going to try.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really, this is a brand new magazine, I shouldn't have to clean it or break it in. It should work right out of the package.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I've got a newer 4095TS in which the mags are same, but with LRHO feature. I bet the bottom back or each bottom corner edge of the follower is catching inside the mag as it rides upwards. If you take sandpaper or knife and scrape that bottom edge of follower it should then work. You want a gentle rounded edge and not flat and squared to create a sharp bend in that plastic. It's catching and dragging somewhat within the magazine which affects how the ammo spring is working, which is causing an off-tilt, nose down, feed issue..

Just as Rachgier said, ALL new equipment needs breaking in. Some require more time than others, especially if one doesn't know the tricks or shortcuts to make work. Doing the chamfer trick to the mag follower just does the job quicker.

A little silicone spray or dry graphite spray, also helps and this is for any magazine, whether old or new.

·
Premium Member
21,232 Posts
Liquid wrench will collect crap like powder residue. There could be a problem with the welding flash on the spot welds. Take it apart and take a look first.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I will say that my 10mm carbine mags needed a bit of break in before they were 100%. My 4595 mags ran fine from day one but a few from both calibers would have followers occasionally hang upon the mag release notch. Some filing fixed that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I disassembled my original bad .40 mag and the new .40/ 10mm mag. Cleaned them both and found the follower in the new mag binds about half way. I can't see any kinks or dents in the mag body and think it might possibly be a burr on the inside of one of the round count holes on the side. Even when reassembled the follower is still sticking about half way down. Have yet to try either one since their detailed cleaning.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
I disassembled my original bad .40 mag and the new .40/ 10mm mag. Cleaned them both and found the follower in the new mag binds about half way. I can't see any kinks or dents in the mag body and think it might possibly be a burr on the inside of one of the round count holes on the side. Even when reassembled the follower is still sticking about half way down. Have yet to try either one since their detailed cleaning.
Use a dremel or small round file to deburr it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts