40gr Hornady and TAC powder

Discussion in 'Gun Reviews and Range Reports' started by FlashBang, Oct 5, 2014.

1. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Hit the range yesterday to test some new subsonic loads in the .308 and to also test some 40gr Hornaday V-Max .223 rounds using the Ramshot TAC powder.
    I loaded up 25 of the .223 rounds to do 5 groups of 5... but after putting out the first 5 rounds and seeing the performance, I ran 5 more over top of the first group and called it quits. Chrono showed them averaging just over 3115fps and they grouped darn fine at 100 meters. I'm thinking they should make a great deer round or hog round for head shots.
    Rifle was a Savage 11/111 HogHunter in .223 with Nikon M223 glass on top.

Attached Files:

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Plenty good for any critter, I'd say! Nice load.

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Nice! Must be a light powder load, with only a 40 grain boolit, and I'm guessing 20" or 24" barrel? Very Efficient! Good speed. Easy on the chamber.

4. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Not really a light load per se... I used a 97.5% charge per case capacity and stayed under SAAMI max chamber pressures; didn't see a need to push the envelope with a compressed load. Barrel is 22".

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Hmmm
    1. Such a light bullet for a .223, (55 grain and heavier is common)
    2. A very full case (by volume standards)

I am guessing this is a special powder? Slower Burn for longer barrel and bullet weight? Not picking on your setup, just trying to understand the dynamics here. To me, it looks like you have a very finely tuned combo, with excellent accuracy, which is what all hand loaders strive for :D

Great Work, I'm just trying to figure out the rationale. Looking into reloading myself ;)