40S&W Barrel Question

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by 2cool4skool, Jun 27, 2014.

Tags:
  1. 2cool4skool

2cool4skool Member

I was wondering how I could find out what bullet weight the rifling was optimized for. I recently took some 180gr. Berry's Copper plated rounds to try them out. At 25 yards I could barely keep 5 shots on a man-size target, including the arms! I went by the Lee 2nd Ed. loading manual, and used Power Pistol. Don't have this much dispersion with lighter bullets (165gr. Berry's) and 700-X powder.

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I use 180gr copper plated RNFP's from Rocky Mountain Reloading, with mixed head stamp brass, and clays for powder. I am able to drop quarter-sized groups at 75 yards. PM me for other info as it is against CoC to publish load data in the open forum.

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The lighter bullets are far better. The 180 will have far greater variation in pressure and velocity with very small differences in the load, obviously affecting accuracy.
    The 180 works better in the faster 1/14, but most guns are 1/16, as the FBI set it up that way.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  4. 2cool4skool

2cool4skool Member

That's what I'm talking about

Your your information was exactly what I was looking for! :D THANK YOU, THANK YOU VERRRRRRY MUCH! I only bought the 180's because at the time that was all that was on the shelf. For close work, >20 yards, they work well , no feeding or extraction issues. I don't worry about pressure signs because I stay well inside the lines from both Lee and the powder maker.
    I've only been reloading for two years or so, and it's funny to me how the "let's try to find components" game goes these days. At one time, there were no bullets. So now that there are plenty of bullets, there are no primers; or you could only buy 200 at a time. Now that primers are stacked on shelves, there is no powder. Always, no brass; or at a price that makes it worthwhile to collect it at the range instead. I can only imagine what it was like to be able to walk into a store, and buy what you WANTED, in whatever quantity you could afford. I console myself that the American people are very passionate and at the same time have a short memory. Perhaps I will live long enough to experience this in the near future.

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Amen. When I started, the hardest part of reloading was sorting through the possibilities, deciding what stuff to throw in the cart, and what to not bother with this trip.:(

6. TeaSipper

TeaSipper Member

The twist rate is 1/10" on the carbine.