44 Magnum !!!!

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by Hot-Shot, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Hot-Shot

Hot-Shot Member

Had a chance to fire a 44 Mag S&W revolver at the range, Glad I had a good grip on it, what a difference from my 9mm and 40 handguns, my right hand is still a little sore

2. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

Yep, i shot one for the first time last month. Kicks harder than a triple shot of espresso! The anticipation was even more unnerving.

3. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I had one of these, wasn't bad to shoot ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1397663402.174718.jpg

4. I always love hearing peoples experience shooting one for the first time. :) I started shooting 44's when I was 6-7 years old and got hooked on smith revolvers ever since. I'm up to 41 Smith 44's now...its a complete addiction and whats even more fun is playing with the different loads when you reload for them. All of my 44 magnums are handloads and each box of 50 has a specific purpose, all the way up to 270 gr bear rounds.

If you think the 44 magnum kicked, the first time I shot my 500 S&W it woke me up like a preachers kid on Sunday!

5. Reminds me of a video I saw last year of a guy shooting one of the large caliber handguns. Not sure if it was a .454 or maybe a 500 S&W. The guy was an experienced shooter, host of an outdoors TV show and had shot a very wide variety of handguns. Even so every shot the gun darn near hit his fore head from the recoil. Ouch!

But yeah, if I came across one and had the money, I'd probably go for it.

6. forgotenpast

forgotenpast Member

my favorit load is 21.5 grains of 2400 behind a 240grain hollow point.... that is a beastly load

7. ace

ace Member

i had a tuarus ragging bull in 454 casull hardest kicking sob of a hand gun i have ever shot. the barrel was even ported still made the web of your hand hurt.

8. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

Geez guys...I have an old Model 29-2 S&W 44 magnum from around 1980. Last time I took it out MY WIFE shot it with 44 specials and then shot it with a 44 magnum. All you have to do is hold on...lol !!!!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  9. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 Member

If Hi Point would make handguns in other calibers, especially.44, .357, and .22 mag; I'd have more guns.

10. forgotenpast

forgotenpast Member

big boy toys
    ruger super redhawk 9.5 inch...
    [​IMG]

11. Hot-Shot

Hot-Shot Member

Dont think I will try a 50

Haven't seen anyone at the range shooting a 50 cal pistol yet but if I am offered a chance to shoot it I will pass

12. madchad

madchad o_O Member

I have a Redhawk with a 7.5" barrel. Kicks less than my JHP.

13. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

What sort of loads are you using? My 7.5" S Blackhawk tries to rip out of my hands with hot loads. My JHP with 45 supers was tame in comparison.

14. forgotenpast

forgotenpast Member

i am betting he will say "dirty harry loads"

15. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

which would probably be true since 'Dirty Harry' only used one hand.

16. forgotenpast

forgotenpast Member

More importantly 44 special

17. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

The gun was afraid to kick hard!! ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1397781999.408213.jpg

18. .44 mags are known as "arm twisters". The more rounds thru the barrel the harder the arm twist. I bought a Interarms Virginia Dragoon .44 mag SS with a 7.5" barrel as a dealer intro offer when they first came out. Prettiest gun ever and took it out to my Dad's private range to test out with .44 spl and mag ammo in hand. Instead of starting with with the .44 spl I went full bore with the magnum rounds and my dad warned me about the arm twist that I would encounter. After about the 3rd or 4th round that gun was almost twisting right out of my hand and punishing by the 12th round. Switched to the .44 spl's and the gun handled like a dream.

19. forgotenpast

forgotenpast Member

my 300gr bear loads feel about like that, the gun just wants to keep on going... pain starts after about 12 shots

20. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

I'm a believer that the pain will go away with enough experience. My 44 would strain my wrist and pound the web by my thumb. But it doesn't anymore. I reload and cast so I can shoot it cheap and it has become my most used gun. The Blackhawk does have one nasty and painful flaw though. The back of the trigger guard bites hard with the cowboy grips. A Huoge grip tames that some but I still leave blood with really hot loads.