Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
I'd have to choose a .45 ACP for ammo availability. The .44 Special is a great round, but its expensive, choices are limited to cowboy ammo, or hard to find semi-exotic stuff. I can find .45 ACP at Wally world, but .44 special is hard to come by in the frozen north.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I'd have to agree with Jackpine, but in my neck of the woods .44 special is a bit easier to find, but still more expensive.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I have the prices, just to keep it interesting....(WallyWorld doesn't have the 44 specials)...Mike's Outdoors)....44 special Blazer 200 grain is $35, 45acp Remington white/green box is $23.

I don't want to go on and on but I am really looking for a (fun gun). I prefer guns with more recoil. So...I have been wondering would say a RIA 1911 or High Standard 1911 (either in 45acp) have more or less recoil than a Charter Arms 44 special snub?

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Well if you want recoil, pick up an American Derringer light weight (6 or 7 ounces) in .44 special. It sounds like a very abusive handgun. Or maybe a scandium Smith in .44 mag. would hit you hard enough. :devilsidesmile:

Seriously the Charter may kick more, and will try to roll in your hand so it may feel like more. I never thought of a .45 ACP as hard kicking. Another advantage of a 1911 is the ability to put a .22 conversion unit on it for cheap practice. But as you just want a fun gun that won't matter. What does your gut say to buy? Flip a coin with heads being one gun and tails the other. If your disappointed with the result buy the other gun.

Take Care and Stay Safe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well if you want recoil, pick up an American Derringer light weight (6 or 7 ounces) in .44 special. It sounds like a very abusive handgun. Or maybe a scandium Smith in .44 mag. would hit you hard enough. :devilsidesmile:

Seriously the Charter may kick more, and will try to roll in your hand so it may feel like more. I never thought of a .45 ACP as hard kicking. Another advantage of a 1911 is the ability to put a .22 conversion unit on it for cheap practice. But as you just want a fun gun that won't matter. What does your gut say to buy? Flip a coin with heads being one gun and tails the other. If your disappointed with the result buy the other gun.

Take Care and Stay Safe
Ive shot calibers all the way up to 44mag and loved all of them, ive never been a pansie when it comes to recoil. I have not shot a 44 special and was wondering what to compare it to...and several people suggested the 45acp. As far as my gut, it's saying slow moving 44 special fat bullet(I know the 45acp is about the same in concept though).

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
44 special in a revolver is a helluva lot different than .45acp in an auto... believe me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Alaskan. But only if you are serious about recoil not being a problem. Also shoots 45 Colt (cheaper and less recoil). Posted as FUN gun. not practical for most HD situations.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Warning:He says the S word at the end.
Darn, i've never knocked my target off the carrier due to precussion before, but look at thie Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Nice find Strangerous. You notice very little muzzle flip. That is because most of the recoil is straight back. Very, very hard on the shoulders.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Alaskan. But only if you are serious about recoil not being a problem. Also shoots 45 Colt (cheaper and less recoil). Posted as FUN gun. not practical for most HD situations.
I have been pondering on a Taurus Raging Bull 454 casull but my wallet says different. The Charter Arms or High Standard or RIA is closter to my price range.

When I checked on a Taurus tracker 44 mag my dealer said $450, he also said the Ruger Redhawk 44 mag would be $475. The reason I changed my mind was I had a Charter Arms 38 special undercover once (new model) and it had recoil on par with a 357 mag 4 inch I had once. I am guessing because the Charter is so light. And I like the desighn(looks) and feel of the Charters.

·
Gun Fanatic
830 Posts
Why would you pick a pistol on it's recoil potential? if you want recoil, try a 12ga pistol with a sawn off barrel, that should be plenty of recoil :D but ofcourse it would not be in most people's price range.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I own several .45 acp and one .44 special bulldog. It only holds 5 and right now they are Hornaday 180 gr. JHP. Recoil is minimal compared to my 1911,G21,P90,PT145,Hipoint .45 etc. and it has become my daily carry piece and back-up weapon on duty. At $13.50 per box of 20 it's high but another officer loads .44 special for $10.00 for 50(200 gr. JHP) and I have 2 boxes on the way when he gets back from Christmas vacation. The bulldog is light,flat and easy to conceal IWB or out and is accurate enough out to 15 yds. for a 2" pistol. At $350.00 NIB the wife hit a homer with it this Christmas,and she let me have it early...the pistol that is.

·
Registered
557 Posts
My vote goes for the 45 ACP...unless your in the woods and
bears are a threat 8)
If I thought Bears were an issue, I would opt for a .460, .454, or even a .44 MAG-- .44 Special would not be my choice any more than a .45ACP would be--

That being said, .45acp is definately cheaper at the store-- that being said, I love .44 special for an SD round, and probably would go for it in a wheelgun platform over the .45 in a revolver...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.