Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wondered if anybody had some +p handloads with 185 gr. XTP and Unique, Blue Dot, or maybe American Select. I know Blue Dot is a good .45 ACP heavy load powder. I was wanting to load up some heavier loads for deer at about 25 yards. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
I have none personally. Have you checked the powder websites? Hodgdon has pa pretty extensive data section, as does Alliant and Accurate/Ramshot

Reactions: lklawson

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I loaded some 7.5 gr. Unique and 8.0 gr. Unique loads. The 8 gr. loads actually seemed mild. I didn't have my chronograph set up but, did notice well rounded primers and soot on cases. I loaded some 8.5 gr. and shot a few of them too. Normal rounded primers with them too. Looked fine.

·
Premium Member
36,185 Posts
My book says an 8.2 grain charge under a185 GDHP or XTP will get just over 1000 fps. And that’s a max load, BTW. More than a max by some books.
That’s a pretty good velocity boost over the base .45 ACP round. Which SHOULD calculate out to be a good boost in pressure.

You have to remember, .45 is pretty low pressure to start with, getting into +P still isn’t THAT much pressure, so it won’t feel super snappy like some cartridges might.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I loaded and shot some a few days ago with 12.0 gr. Accurate No.7 and 185 gr. XTP. Got an average of 1,040 fps. No pressure signs, and shot decent at 25 yards.

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
@undeRGRound - these were designed to be a target bullet with the same ballistics as the XTP defense bullets. They are NOT designed to expand. I have read that they act more like a FMJ than a HP. Let me know your impression when you load them up - I haven't used them. I'm interested to know if they do expand like a SD hollow point.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,665 Posts
@undeRGRound - these were designed to be a target bullet with the same ballistics as the XTP defense bullets. They are NOT designed to expand. I have read that they act more like a FMJ than a HP. Let me know your impression when you load them up - I haven't used them. I'm interested to know if they do expand like a SD hollow point.
Nice data, Dawg

I believe you, cuz these look like the "hollow points" that Freedom Munitions sells for the exact same purposes, target shooting with a cheaper ballistic equivalent. I'll dig further.

I also noted the absence of score lines around the hollow point. Doubtful that it opens up...

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
That was the story in one of the gun magazines a couple of years back. Cheaper than the XTP with the same ballistics. IIRC, the article said NOT to use them for defense.

·
Administrator
28,733 Posts
Here's a HAP bullet...
I keep meaning to look to see if anyone ever did any gel tests of the HAP bullets. I remember when they came out, people kept asking about it, but I don't recall if anyone ever did.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
I keep meaning to look to see if anyone ever did any gel tests of the HAP bullets. I remember when they came out, people kept asking about it, but I don't recall if anyone ever did.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I'm pretty sure Handloader did, but I no longer have the back issues - a casualty of my recent move. If anyone else gets that mag, maybe they can check.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,665 Posts

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I found some text on the Hornady site, let me see if I can paste it here...

Product Features

BUILT FOR COMPETITION

Expansion isn't an issue in action pistol shooting, so we removed the expansion-aiding skives. The result is a bullet that delivers the accuracy its sleek appearance promises.

NO EXPOSED LEAD

A jam can cost the match for a competitive shooter, and that's why our copper jacket protects the nose of our HAP bullet.

SWAGED CORE

The core of the HAP bullet is cold swaged from pure lead to deliver consistency, balance and stability in flight. It delivers pinpoint accuracy with every shot.

GILDING METAL JACKET

The gilding metal jacket protects the nose and ensures smooth feeding.

·
Administrator
28,733 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,185 Posts

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,665 Posts
Screen shot of Al's link attached

I just grabbed these cuz I need boolits and they were available it would be a hot carbine load in 45 Super, really take down a deer
Brown Plant Body jewelry Petal Wood

If not destroy too much meat I hope.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Underground, what bullet is that? I shot some 185 gr. XTP with 12.5 gr. AA #7 over chrono today, and it didn't do any better than the 12.0 gr. AA #7 loads. Hmmm.

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
@undeRGRound - Is that a pic of HAP bullets, mole? If it is, what load did you use?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts