Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I recently bought a Hi Point 45 ACP, this is my first hand gun. Today I put my first 6 clips worth of ammo through it, using 2 different clips. Every clip had a failure to feed on the last but 1 round - the cartridge ending up vertical viewed through the eject port, and out of the 6 clips the slide only locked back on 2 occasions after the last round in the clip.

The ammo was Wolf 230gr FMJ, which I have since learned is not so good! What I would like to know is can both problems - failures to load & the slide not locking back, be blamed on the ammo, or do I have any weak springs etc in the clips or gun?

If it's likely the ammo is the problem any suggestions for what to use.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
I'm no expert, but did you leave your magazines loaded for a while first? I hear you kind of need to work the spring in before they truly function well. Also, polishing the feed ramp always helps, but this doesn't seem to be that kind of problem... I'm sure one of the other users will chime in with more precise info.

BTW... The proper term is "magazine" or "mag." A clip is used to load a magazine. But that's just me being anal about terminology.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol, thanks for the reply - Mag is what I meant, I guess that's my English ignorance showing through (no guns there!) :) Any way Ive had the mags loaded with 7 rounds for about a month now.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I had some of the same problem with wolf ammo in my .45. I went back to brass and i never had a problem since. My JHP.45 hates wolf ammo. I would try different ammo first.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ammo can make a difference. I shot 150 rounds of Winchester WB through my 40 with no problem. I then switched to federal and started having a few jams and the same with Blazer Brass. Unfortunatly I can't say if going back to the WWB has helped. The jams have all happened to my friend who I sold the gun to. He is going to try and go back to the WWB and see what happens. Now on the C9 I bought, to take the place of the 40, I had a bunch of jams to start with but oiled it well and it seems to have worked it's self out.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
You say the mags have been loaded with 7 rounds? What model .45 is this? The JHP(polymer) model holds 9 rnds. Could this be an old model JH .45 that is all steel?
If it is a used, older JH .45, you could send it along with your magazines to Haskell & they will give it a tune-up & check everything for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the latest model, with the 9 round mag. I have not owned a gun with a mag before I wasn't sure if leaving mags loaded damaged springs, but as I wanted something in there for self defense I figured not pushing the spring to max would be best. From further reading I now realise I was wrong -It seems most people always store mags full.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Try a different ammo, and make sure you have a firm wrist and elbow when firing, to avoid limpwristing.
Let us know results.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Going to try and find some Winchester white box today & hopefully cure my problems - will post results soon :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got my 45JHP on the third and have shoot about 100 hundred rounds and the only jams i got was when my bother had some wwb hollow points did it jam. I am shooting Speer lawman ammo 230 grain and Remington USMC round nose no problems hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I tried to get some ammo today, all I could find was 1 box of wwb FMJ. No store was willing to tell me why they are out of stock, or whether they will get anymore stock - where's it all gone??? (I'm in South KY)

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
you oblviously havent been around the forums much. panic buyers after the election bought up everything that wasnt nailed down. we're still feeling the rpercussions of that panic nearly a year afterward.

SW

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recently bout my first handgun a Hi-Point JHP pistol. I was wanting some info on it. I have never fired a 45 before & have never fired a handgun before & have not fired a gun in while. I am looking for shooting glasses, holsters etc.. that are american made. I bought Remington UMC Leadless 230GR Flatnose Ammo. What should I need to know bout this gun an were would be a good place to get gun accessories at?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For what its worth, the dealer that I buy my guns/ammo from told me that the Wolf ammo was not a good choice for the HP.
Yeah, I agree. Since using the Wolf I've tried Winchester Wb & Remington UMC and had no problems with either. Maybe I had a bad batch of Wolf, I don't know, but while I can get other ammo that causes me no problems I have no reason to buy Wolf again.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
i have shot a few .40 and .45 HP in the past, and they seem to work fine with wolf ammo, my favorite ammo is federal second by blazer, they seem very stable compared to WWB or remington, i recommend you to...

0. follow safety rules!

1. clean your gun with WD-40 (spray & clean it with a tooth brush, spray & wipe it down, spray again and let it dry) make sure you clean the edge of the mags too.

2. test your mags. with the mags empty, insert them one by one and try to lock the slide back, if the mag is empty, and the slide is pull back, the mag should lock the slide back, if it doesn't lock back, you have a bad magazine. send it back and they will fix/replace it for you free.

3. get yourself a box of federal/blazer .45 ammo (or any other in case you don't find them) and load the mags that lock the slide back from the above test. (if all mags work, great... load them all.)

4. use some kind of gloves when shooting, sweaty hands + .45acp + HP blowback = can get your gun to jamming if you dont have a good grip.

if after these steps you still experience any kind of problem, you should send it back to HP for a tune-up.

be safe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1. clean your gun with WD-40 (spray & clean it with a tooth brush, spray & wipe it down, spray again and let it dry) make sure you clean the edge of the mags too.
Do you clean inside the bore with it too? I'm a great fan of WD :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.