.45 ACP Personal Defense Ammo

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by brjedi26, Jan 26, 2008.

1. I was reading somewhere, can't remember quite where, and it said that the 4 best personal defense rounds in .45 ACP were Speer Gold-Dot, Federal Hydra-Shock, Remington Golden Sabre and Winchester Silvertips. First off, do you agree with these four being the top personal defense ammo in .45 ACP?

I read that all except for the Silvertips come in 185 grain and 230 grain. Why don't the Silvertips come in 230 grain? And do the Silvertips have real silver in them? Or is it just a name?

So, I went to one of my local gun shops yesterday, and I didn't see the Silvertips or the Golden Sabres. Went to two other gun shops today. First one, I saw the Golden Sabres, but didn't buy them. Second one I bought some Silvertips and Speer Gold-Dot. Silvertips were by far the least expensive of the three that I looked at today. (I already had Hydra-Shocks that I've had for about a year now.)

I also decided where to buy my Springfield Mil-Spec 1911. I'll pick it up soon, then (weather permitting) go try out these new bullets.

Are there any other .45 ACP personal defense ammo that you like and would suggest I try out?

2. Ari

Ari Guest

Read the sticky in this area..

3. griff30

griff30 Member

It's real silver, helps keep the pesky werewolves dead. LOL
    Just kidding, no its not real silver. Real silver would make those bullets expensive. Ive heard of kids going into live powerplants to steal copper, if there was real silver in bullets someones gonna try get shot for the metals! LOL

4. Doh! I did read that. I remember reading that now. Oops.

Um. What would you say that I had a slight fear of werewolves...? It's extremely small. Almost non-existent... really.

5. I would buy a box of each and shoot them. First thing you need is 100% reliability. Second thing would be accuracy. All four rounds you mentioned will get the job done provided your gun will reliable feed them and shoot them accurately. When it comes to big bore guns like the .44's and .45's the 200-240 gr loads are more than enough to stop just about any threat regardless of what bullet type you are using.

6. Federal HST. 'Nuff said. Can even get it in +p if you like it that way (230 gr., of course).

7. Spydermonkey

Spydermonkey Guest

Although I did carry the HSTs for about a year, I prefer Winchester Rangers in 230gr non+p. These are my edc in my G36.

8. NWdude83

NWdude83 Guest

+P cause I like to go overboard.
    [​IMG]

9. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

im a fan of silvertips myself.

SW

10. NWdude83

NWdude83 Guest

From the Recommended duty/carry loads thread -
    http://hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=486

.45 ACP:
    Barnes XPB 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
    Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)
    Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP (23966)
    Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)
    Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)

"Bullet designs like the Silver Tip, Hydra-Shok, and Black Talon were state of the art 10 or 15 years ago. Modern ammunition which has been designed for robust expansion against clothing and intermediate barriers is significantly superior to the older designs. The bullets in the Federal Classic and Hydrashok line are outperformed by other ATK products such as the Federal Tactical and HST, as well as the Speer Gold Dot; likewise Winchester Ranger Talons are far superior to the old Black Talons or civilian SXT's."

11. This very topic was being discussed a few days ago while I was in one of my local shops looking at a new .44 Mag rifle. The fellows doing the talking were all LEO's, retired LEO's or long time CWP Instructors with LEO backgrounds.

Seems that the majority carried the same type of ammo that the agencies issued for carry ammo in the Glock .40's, and that would be the Speer Gold Dot JHP's. Most of these guys carry a .40 S&W or .45acp for personal use and I respect their opinions because of the wealth of knowledge these fellows have when it comes to people stopping ammunition.

12. NWdude83

NWdude83 Guest

Which Speer Gold Dots? There is GDHP, BJHP, JHP... And what is the difference between GDHP and JHP? Or are they the same?