.45 Ammo Question ...Problem Maybe?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by JoeDoe22, May 16, 2008.

1. JoeDoe22

JoeDoe22 Member

I finally got around to shooting a pistol that I bought last week and everything functioned like it should when I was shooting normal pressure ammo but when I loaded up 230gr +p HST's every casing except the last one hit my forehead.

After one mag of the +p I loaded standard pressure and every casing ejected to the right as expected.

Is this something that I should worry about?

2. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

No worries, as the +p's have more "bang", which in turn forces the slide back with more force, and the ejector is attached to the slide. With that said, I'll say it's normal... +p = + pressure ...Now you may want to check your ejector for excessive wear... but other than that... replaceit if need be... otherwise, keep on blasting the +p... is your pistol rated for +p?

3. JoeDoe22

JoeDoe22 Member

Well the manual doesnt say it exactly...

It just says:

I was only shooting the +p to make sure it will run for SD but I plan to practice with the normal pressure ammo.

4. Ari

Ari Guest

What is the weapon?

I really have never found a need for 45acp in +p...

5. JoeDoe22

JoeDoe22 Member

Its a Sig P220

Man, let me tell you that the +p ammo beats the **** out of your hands compared to the regular stuff.

6. Ari

Ari Guest

I do not think you gain anything when you factor in the recoil. Standard 45acp gives you your needed penetration with a smooth recoil making the 2nd shot much easier.