.45 Carbine Rear Sight Macro Adjustment

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by TJM1066, Oct 19, 2020.

1. TJM1066

TJM1066 Member

Hello;

New-ish owner of 4595TS. Grew up in farm/deer-hunting country with rimfires and shotguns - this is my first center-fire rifle, but I am familiar with shooting/sights, etc.

Have put several hundred rounds through carbine at this point, mostly just to break it in - haven't been too concerned with zeroing until today.

Shooting from bench-rest, my groupings were fairly good, but consistently low and quite left. If I aimed at the right edge of the target, I could consistently center the shots.

Since I was only 4-5" low, I raised the back sight several clicks and this seemed to work, rather than dropping the front sight, which seemed like it would be more difficult to do incrementally and testing/repeat.

While adjusting windage, however, I kept moving the back sight right (and still grouping left) until my rear sight is completely pegged on the right side (the last vertical marker on the right), and still several inches left of center on target.

The range I was at today only had 25-yard lanes open (I would have liked to have zeroed at 15 if possible), so I was having some trouble tracking all the shots.

My question - is there a better way to make macro adjustments to traverse (using front sight maybe - thought it was allen-screwed in at center); or is it fairly common to have this rifle's sights pinned that far off center?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Your front sight post is canted. Common problem with these carbines. They can get knocked out of place a dozen different ways.

Make a witness mark between the barrel and FSP body, loosen up the set screws and rotate the FSP to the left. It won't take much. A degree or so. Just enough to offset the witness mark.

While you're there you can make the gross adjustment for elevation as well.

Edit: You were correct in your idea that the front sight is for gross adjustments, not fine tuning.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    HPlover, Shroomish and undeRGRound like this.

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Wow, hundreds of rounds, did you hit anything? I mean that sounds like a lot of ammo w/o a good zero. I try to get some 'practice' out of a low round count, usually. Ammo ain't CHEAP!! :eek:

Welcome to HPFF!

Think1st and fatal-bert33 like this.
  4. TJM1066

TJM1066 Member

Thank you for the response.

Will attempt and update thread with result for anyone else having issue in future.

Regards

5. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I had to do the same with mine. I keep threatening to find the illustrated walk through I posted back in 2013, but that's a whole lot of digging to find it...

6. TJM1066

TJM1066 Member

Haha. Yes, I've been blowing up cans and whatnot - just plinking. Was able to adjust fairly well for windage - as I mentioned, groupings were good. I had picked up an extra 5 mags from various sources - wanted to make sure they all fed properly, etc. Also, the charging handle is occasionally a bit stiff when locked back - takes a real yank to get it going again - wanted to see if that loosened up a bit after some recoil.

As far as ammo - yes, that's a kick in the shorts. I had no other .45's (although I am thinking along those lines for a pistol), so I had to pick up about 10 boxes of 230-grain. Around here, it seems the best I can do is about 0.55 per round. Ouch. Don't know if that is typical (internet says "yes") historically, but it's a far cry from the .22 cals of my youth...

Regards...

undeRGRound likes this.