45 for CC

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by lklawson, Apr 27, 2019.

1. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

He’s the Master of the Remote one finger death punch

[​IMG]

Can I play?
    Tree fiddy seffen and my forty-feiv

3550CC57-2EC7-4C54-A6FC-415528837A5D.jpeg 6F3E4360-62B4-439B-8909-B29588630564.jpeg

moona11 likes this.
  2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I shot my 1911 today....the thing is just right.

[​IMG]

3. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Its like a piece of heaven when it goes pew pew.

4. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I do like the KAHR for social work, the Ruger LCR if I am in a revolver mood. I feel a handgun for social work should be point and shoot simple, inherently safe, and easy to carry. The KAHR gives me all three.

Point and shoot simple. Like a camera. I can pull out the SLR camera, set the stop, set the exposure, focus and shoot. Or I can pull out the digital and just take the picture. Same-same with the handgun. I can use my favorite, the 1911, disengage the thumb safety, depress the grip safety, aim and shoot. Or the KAHR, just pull the trigger. The SLR and the 1911 are natural to me, and I get better pictures / accuracy, but the digital and KAHR are faster and both are good enough. And good is good enough.

Inherently safe. Like a DA revolver, the striker on the KAHR is not pre-tensioned. The trigger on the KAHR tensions the striker. And does it with a butter smooth trigger that is just over 5 pounds. The trigger on the KAHR you either love it or hate it. You can’t stage it, you learn to just pull it straight through.

Easy to carry. I can’t remember the dimensions exactly, and I am too lazy to look them up, but IIRC, my CW45 is just over 6 1/4" x 4 3/4" x 1" and weighs about 22 ounces empty. Easy enough to carry. In my MTR tuckable Dual Carry holster I never notice it’s there. Nobody else does either, the only give away is the clips securing the holster to my belt. I could of gone with the CM45, which is smaller, but I prefer 3 fingers on the grip and the CM doesn’t afford that without an extended magazine. I also do not like my finger gripping on the magazine, as I find it can cause malfunctions and hamper the magazine from dropping free without altering your grip.

Anything I don’t like about the CW45? Not really. If I have to pick something I wish the front sight was dovetailed rather than pinned.

My second favorite pistol for social work is the S&W Shield. I do think it falls just short of the KAHR because it has a pre-tensioned striker and relies on the plastic jointed trigger to keep it pre tensioned. The striker block does make me feel better though. I also can’t get my pinky finger on the grip unless I use the extended magazine.

My third favorite is the Springfield XDs. It too is pre-tensioned. It relies on a trigger safety and a grip safety to keep it that way, which is actually a better system than the Shield I think, being that disengaging the safeties comes naturally when you grip and fire the handgun. And it also has a striker block. Still, I think a case can be made that it violates the K.I.S.S. principle. I do like the fiber optic sight. And like the Shield, there is no place for the pinky without the extended magazine. I actually strongly considered buying this one over the KAHR. I think the smallest 45 made kind of caught my ear, but compared to the KAHR CM45, there isn’t much difference. Yes, the XDs is smaller, but just barely. And wrong as this may be, I didn’t like the “Made in Croatia" stamped on the frame. The trigger is pretty crappy, but there are after market triggers readily available. The trigger is why the S&W made the #2 spot over the XD. Otherwise, I do like the XD.

Another Springfield option I find interesting is the XDe. Basically the XDs with a hammer and thumb safety. This interests a 1911 fan like me.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

My girly-man wrists hert when I shoot a real gun. It gets my panties in a bunch.

Is there any gun that's shoots a bulit as powerful as a .44 Magnum (the most powerful handgun in the world) but only has the recoil of a .22 Short but the gun is the size of a cute little pocket gun? Preferably shiny nickle plated with pink or teal accents? :D

Anyway, like I mentioned to start with, I'm looking for a single-stack CC gun in .45ACP +P, with no "active" safety switches, and preferably not steel frame ('cuz it drags my pants down).

Passive safeties like a grip safety are OK. I don't mind a glock-like trigger dingus. I would really prefer to have the trigger weight at around 6-ish lbs.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Think1st and mn_doggie like this.
  6. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    As the result of this thread, for the first time in a couple of years, I carried my XDs .45 while "herding cats" at church last night. (Herding cats = trying to keep track of 200+ fifth thru twelfth graders..)

Carrying it ain't as bad as I remembered, I just have a crappy holster for it (N82), My P365 is just so easy to carry and I can't help but compare others to it.

uncle mark and lklawson like this.
  7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

So after looking at all the options, from Kahr to Springfield, it looks like the Kahr PM45 or the M&P Shield 2.0 45 are the best bets. The Kahr has a slightly better price but only one mag and they are $40 a pop.

Thanks guys. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Rerun likes this.
  8. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Thought you were going to tell us that this was just for information only and you weren’t really serious in getting anything. :rotfl:

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I am serious about it but not any time soon. Maybe a year or two. Next pistols, if ANY, will most likely be an M&P Shield 2.0 380 EZ, and/or the new 12-round Hi Point C9 replacement. The EZ would be for my mother. She is currently carrying my Ruger SR22 .22LR pistol because her hand and wrist strength won't let her effectively rack a slide much heavier than that. Yes, I've taught her the "women's method." She's just not strong enough. I also taught her the "rack it against a table" method but she'll never do that either. Too hard on the furniture. :)

So, when (if?) I eventually get around to this, it'll be a while. I just keep looking at the .45 SMC cartridge and thinking "10mm performance from a .45 ACP +P rated gun." What's not to like about that?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Dagwood and mn_doggie like this.
  10. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    OK... just did some checking on BBI, etc. Very interesting..

I've been thinking about grabbing my friends old G23 and getting a .357 Sig barrel for it. Several hundred dollars outlay.

.45 SMC is an interesting option.

Just ordered a new holster option for the XDs .45 :cool: :bounce:

Dagwood and lklawson like this.
  11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The neatest thing about the .450 SMC is they claim that it's safe to run them in any .45ACP gun rated for +P.

Everyone caveats that "it will shorten the life span of the gun." duh...

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

05.JPG I have a H&K 45 Compact, sweet gun but if it hadn't been given to me I doubt I would have spent the $$$ on it.

https://hk-usa.com/hk-models/usp-compact/

It doesn't feel heavy in a belt holster, it is a bit on the thick side (1-3/8" I think) But a good shooter and easy on the hands. Slightly smaller than a 1911 lengthwise.

Think1st and fatal-bert33 like this.
  13. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

Here are the variants:

uspvariants.jpg

Attached Files:

14. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    I spent some time on the Double Tap website. They recommend using the ammo in full sized pistols with heavier recoil springs. The reality is I'd probably only ever run 2-3 boxes (20 rnds) thru it anyway.

15. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    The Glock 20, I believe, is built on the same frame as the Glock 21, so if you used the recoil spring from the Glock 20, you could probably get away with running the .450 SMC in the Glock 21 as much as you can get away with running 10mm in the Glock 20. That's the theory, at least.

16. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

That’s almost $2/round for the wunder ammo.
    I can shoot you with 6 regular .45 FMJ’s for that kinda money.
    Considering I’ll probably miss with 5......

Thirtyeighter likes this.
  17. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine

as long as I can get my bullets on layaway:) haha that was funny!!

18. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Would a ruger mark series be easier to 'rack' ??

19. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I don't know. That SR22 is pretty darn easy.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

mn_doggie likes this.
  20. Yup, the SR22 is easy, but the Ruger Marks have the toggle which IMO is easier to grasp.