Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you just punch out the 2 pins that hold it in or is there more to it then that? I want to take some measurements of the rectangle block that the barrel is in while out of the frame. I just bought a new JHP this week $148 + tax and want to look at converting it to a large size 9mm. Maybe a plausible project, maybe not. Thanks, Rob

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
Rob there is just the 2 pins that hold it in, then a little wiggling to get it out.

Be safe and good luck on your project !

·
Registered
905 Posts
I have been wondering if HP sold replacement barrels. Mainly so that someone could throw a 40 cal barrel into a 45 JHP to fire the HOT 400 Corbon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.400_Corbon

Then again I like wildcat cartidges and have been thinking of really PIMPING out an FEG from 9MM markarov to a 32ACP barrel to fire the .32NAA...

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
45/9 project going ahead

Got it apart , pretty easy. Just love the HP, kinda like a VW Beetle. Easy to take apart and work on with just a hammer and a punch. This project is looking like it might actually fly. The 9mm magazine will be very easy to adapt into the 45 and it looks like it may still strip and eject the casings w/o any mods. I have the barrel and other parts on the way so hopefully in a couple of weeks "Thumper" may be operational. I don't name my guns but I thought of the movie "Bambi" and his little bunny friend Thumper when he would rapid fire his thumping foot. OK, I guess you had to see it to appreciate it. Hope to put a little longer barrel in it so I can port the end that sticks out of the slide, and maybe do a texturing job on the grips and poly frame. Later ,Rob

·
Registered
514 Posts
can you fit a .40 into a .45? will the barrels interchange?
interesting question..:)

·
Registered
905 Posts
can you fit a .40 into a .45? will the barrels interchange?
interesting question..:)
Or maybe a 9mm barrel into a 40S&W Hi-Point to make a .357 SIG!
Its a 9mm bullet in a 40 S&W case. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_SIG
Maybe I should try the .357 SIG in a 4095 carbine. Just use a 995 barrel in the 4095 frame...Added barrel length sould punch that bullet into the 2,000 FPS realm! They are getting 1,450 ft/s out of 4" barrels with the .357 SIG.

We NEED pictures of this rjmorel!
This a very interesting project. Unfortunately wont see any of this past tonight until next week with the site down. :cry:

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
griff30 are you talking about modding the chambers so the rounds fit? Kind of an interesting idea. What would you have to do, take a 9mm barrel and ream out the chamber to take the bigger casing?

·
Registered
905 Posts
griff30 are you talking about modding the chambers so the rounds fit? Kind of an interesting idea. What would you have to do, take a 9mm barrel and ream out the chamber to take the bigger casing?
Yes. waltham41
I need to start a seperate topic on that, I'm not wanting to take away from rjmorel.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"can you fit a .40 into a .45? will the barrels interchange?
interesting question?"
I will have a 45 and 40 barrel as well as my C9 in a few weeks that I got off GunBroker.com as parts and can compare them and their locating holes. My bet is that they will interchange straight across. In manufacturing them I'm supposing that HP keeps costs down by making the 40/45 the same and the only difference in the 40/45 is the bore in the barrel. We'll see, rj

·
Registered
905 Posts
RJ
ANy new man? I would see if a gunsmith could ream the back of the barrel out for the HOTT .400 corbon out of a spare 40 and try it in a JHP45.
If it's possible, we could have 10mm performance out of this piece!

Actually looking to see the feasiblity of having someone make a .357 barrel for a HP 4090....

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I received the 9mm barrel and rough machined it but am still waiting for the 40/45 parts to arrive to fit it to. Then I'll bore out one of the barrel/block combos to accept the 9mm. If you take the 45 mags apart ,the 9mm mag will fit right up inside the .45 mag to take up the slop in the handle. I'll take pics along the way and post them if anyone is interested in the project. As far as other caliber possibilities I think anything could be made to work as the 40/45 are large pistols with lots of room to do things, RJ

G

·
RJ
ANy new man? I would see if a gunsmith could ream the back of the barrel out for the HOTT .400 corbon out of a spare 40 and try it in a JHP45.
If it's possible, we could have 10mm performance out of this piece!

Actually looking to see the feasiblity of having someone make a .357 barrel for a HP 4090....
10mm semi auto hi point pistol.........awsome idea.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I received the parts today for the .40 and .45 and the barrels look exactly the same except for the bore. I put pins into the 2 mounting pin holes on each barrel and measured them and came up with 3 different distances on my new 45, the used 45 and the 40, so I suppose if you change barrels they are very close but may need to run a drill through the hole once the barrel is in the frame to get the pin through. I'm boring out the used 45 now to accept the Mac 10 9mm barrel. Pics to come if anyone wants to see the project, rj

·
Registered
959 Posts
if your project works rjmorel, make sure to give us the how-to on it. Hi points are becoming quite rare around here, so just getting one as a test subject is rare, but if it works, I'd be able to justify gettting a few more. it'd be great to have an entire arsenal of hi points chambered for .380, 9mm, 10mm, .357, .40,. and .45.

between teh custom grips in teh other post, and custom chambered HPs, we may have the beginnings of teh HP aftermarket here...

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
IT'S ALIVE. I got the 9mm conversion mostly done this afternoon. Heres some pics of "Thumper" to give you and idea of what all was done so far. I don't have time tonight to expound on it as I have to go pick up my son in 15 min so enjoy for now, rj

boring out .45 barrel for 9mm sleeve

turning 9mm to fit in .45 barrel

put together

putting 9mm mag into the .45 mag

9mm mag inside .45 mag

.45 ejecter that needs work to work on smaller diameter 9mm

back in JHP frame

All back together

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Guys, as cool as this might look, im almost certain Hi-Point does NOT recommend a modification like this. This could end up in a injury or even death.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts