.45 JHP First-Timer

Discussion in 'Welcome Aboard' started by FreeinVT, Jul 2, 2015.

1. I wanted to leave a comment at the corporate website for the owner and employees, but discovered there wasn’t a way to do that. So, I’ll post here.

A little over a month ago, I purchased the .45 caliber JHP from a retailer in Colorado, who delivered it to an FFL dealer here in Vermont. This is the first firearm I’ve ever owned and the first I’ve ever handled since my Army days in 1972 and 1973. Having gone so long without a weapon, I feared the worst, especially because of how heavy the weapon seemed when I received it, and because I have severe rheumatoid arthritis. Truth be told, all I’d heard about 45s led me to believe this thing would knock me flat on my backside when I pulled the trigger. Had initial problems working the slide, so I bought a hand/wrist exerciser, went to town with it, and spent a lot of time practicing dry fire with proper handling of the weapon.

Then the FFL dealer offered me a chance at target practice. That happened last Saturday. He took me up to his private “range,” a little clearing on a heavily-wooded hillside. So I went through one dry fire exercise, asking him to correct anything he saw me doing wrong. Then I loaded one round into the magazine and prepared to fire. I braced myself and squeezed the trigger. What a surprise! The recoil didn’t turn out to be anywhere near what I’d anticipated. In fact, I considered it mild. Though I expended only 19 rounds, all were close to center ring and most were well-grouped, as per the dealer.

So I wanted to thank all at Hi-Point for making my first experience with a handgun so memorable, and for making such an excellent weapon.

2. Rerun

Rerun Member

Welcome to the best Forum on the internet!

Hi-Points are much better firearms than many folk give them credit for!

Any question You might have, ask away. Someone here usually has an answer for You.

eldar

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Welcome to the group!

.45 ACP is an easy round to shoot in most guns, the HP being so heavy makes it a real *****cat.

Next, you can get the 4095 carbine, shares mags with the pistol, and extends range out to 75-100 yards.:)

4. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Like it says at the bottom of the page, "Hipointfirearmsforum.com is not in any way associated with Hi-Point Firearms or MKS Supply LLC". Chances of them seeing your post is quite slim. So you might want to give them a call after the 4th and tell them. It'll make their day.

5. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Don't listen to Al get the 4595. 40 doesn't work very well in a 45. Al go stand on the corner.

6. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Hi Point hand guns do not have a lot of recoil. My BiL has a .40 HP hand gun. I can shoot it a lot longer with out any discomfort than I can with a .357.

7. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Actually, now we are. Hi-Point advertises HPFF as the place to go to learn about their firearms.

Attached Files:

8. cicpup

Vermont
    Then change the disclaimer.

9. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Not my call, that falls on the evil overlords. I'm just a minion with a fart gun when it comes to that aspect of the forum.

10. Is there such a thing as a .45 caliber fart?

Thanks all. I have a question, though. Does anyone know when the JHP first started rolling off the assembly line, at least the year?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  11. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida

Yes, there is. It's the first gas that you release when you are sitting on a wooden bench after eating beans and broccoli.

12. Really? I would've expected Mex food from South Cal, but that's me.

Anyway, still waiting on anyone who knows the year.

13. For anyone who's looked at my profile and seen that I am located as "somewhere in the Green Mountains," you might have also seen that I'm a federal government employee. That said, my particular agency, and the federal government, do not need to know who I am and that I now own weapons. God knows they wouldn't be happy with me for that. And I am also one of the millions who had their personal data compromised in the recent breach.

I'm sick of being lied to and I'm also done with their control issues.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  14. Think1st

Florida
    Mexican food causes more of an MG-42 report than a .45 report.

Hi Point was founded in 1992, and I remember first reading about the JHP 45 around that time, too.

15. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

The burrito I had yesterday produced a howitzer fart this morning. The cat recovered from the chemical attack and my wife is still *****ing about the stink.

16. Think1st

Florida
    You know it was a bad one if one of the furry family members immediately leaves the room, wearing a look of indignation.

17. cicpup

Vermont
    Would have been a couple years later. They had the alloy JH for awhile.

18. cicpup

Vermont
    You're a VT resident. You can own and carry whatever you want. And unless you purchased it face to face from another VT resident and there was no paperwork, they already know.

If they ever let you out of Montpelier I could show you an example of every Hi-Point model made.

19. Rerun

Rerun Member

Sooo...

You're rough on Your wife too...

smh

eldar

20. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

hmm.....Really?