45 Super in a 4595TS

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by KLAXON, May 6, 2015.

1. KLAXON

KLAXON Member

I have a T/C with a 10" barrel and a friend has a Ruger convertible 45Colt/45ACP that we both have used the 45 Super. It has about a 300FPS gain on the 45ACP. A much stronger recoil spring is needed when converting a 1911 to fire the Super.

Has any one heard of using 45 Super in a 4595? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Super

2. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

I did it in a JHP. I ran a hundred calculations that said it should work with a...I don't remember, you could look it up, an 18lb spring iirc. At any rate I did it with no mods in the end. It ran fine. Real snappy and you can feel the slide bottom hard. If you were going to do it as a steady diet you'll need that spring upgrade. Even then the gun won't do it very long, but it will do it. I ran mine for just under 50 rounds. A detailed inspection revealed no abnormal wear.

3. Duster, is oldwheelgunshop gone? Link is dead for me.

Domain Name: OLDWHEELGUNSHOP.COM
    Registrar: DOMAIN.COM, LLC
    Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 886
    Whois Server: whois.domain.com
    Referral URL: http://www.domain.com
    Name Server: NS1.DOTSTER-EXPIRED.DOMAINPARKINGSERVER.NET
    Name Server: NS2.DOTSTER-EXPIRED.DOMAINPARKINGSERVER.NET
    Status: pendingDelete http://www.icann.org/epp#pendingDelete
    Updated Date: 05-may-2015
    Creation Date: 20-feb-2012
    Expiration Date: 20-feb-2015

>>> Last update of whois database: Wed, 06 May 2015 19:49:48 GMT <<<

4. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    You probably want to install a bumper in it like the Marlin camps.

5. KLAXON

KLAXON Member

Tnx for your input. I was looking for reply(s) on usage in a 4595 Carbine. As to date, I have not bought a 4595 Carbine. I have only used the 45 Super in my T/C. My friend with the Ruger convertible rates the 45ACP as mild, the 45 Super as HOT and 45 Colt as in between.

6. KLAXON

KLAXON Member

Dane ~ Tnx for the reply. I hope some one has tried the 45 Super and can give input. My main concern would be the correct weight recoil spring to use.

When I bought a 45ACP barrel for my T/C, I asked the manufacturer about using 45Super and I guess the lawyers there would only allow the techs to say it should only be used 45ACP. A comparison of the chamber & barrel thickness of a 1911 barrel vs. the T/C shows the T/C is thicker. The only mishap with the T/C was when my grandson was told to lock his elbows while shooting and he didn't. He gently bounced the Contender on his head and said he then knew why he should have locked elbows.

7. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Usually a T/C can take punishment!
    I think there was someone who tried super under a discussion about .460 Rowland

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Duster's original post had the info you seek, but for the JHP.
    Applying the same % of spring increase to the 4595 should be appropriate.
    In other words, if a JHP has a 15# spring and it called for an 18, that is a 20%
    increase. So a hypothetical 4595, assuming a 17# spring, it would need
    approximately a 20.4# spring, so get a 21# if available. (I'd round UP)

All figures are theoretical, not actual figures. You need to do your own
    homework, these are just examples to illustrate the simple math involved.

9. undeRGRound

INDY
  10. KLAXON

KLAXON Member

I have thought about converting a 1911/45ACP to handle and didn't want to put my Springfield or Colt in harms way. Perhaps I'll find a 1911 to experiment with.

I'm looking for someone that pioneered the 4595 conversion for advise. At this point, the 995TS is the best in ammo cost if you overlook the .22LR. There is a ton of once-used 9MM brass and the bullets are far cheaper. Thankfully, I have a progressive press the labor cost is zero...

11. ndindy

ndindy Member

Last review I read on the conversion was less than spectacular. Most of the increased energy ended up not coming out of the muzzle, must moved the action harder/faster. The blowback action wasn't ideal for mods. TBH I don't remember if the carbine was a 40 converted to 10mm, or a 45 to 460. It's been a while.

I have a .460 glock, it's awesome but a lot of pounding on your hands with hunting loads.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  12. undeRGRound

INDY
    I do not recall a 4595 converted to anything... especially here @HPFF :(
    Now we did discuss the 4095 to 10mm conversion by IV8888, which is
    on youtube. Did not see any chrony data or anything else, however...

13. sw1shers

sw1shers Member

Ive always wanted a 9x25 dillon carbine, a 7.62x25 carbine, and a .357 sig carbine.

14. undeRGRound

INDY
    Do you have any of the corresponding handguns? I've always thought I'd
    forgo the Tok and just get the 357 Sig instead... A 995 could be converted
    to the 357 Sig with a chamber ream job. But "do the math" first. ;)

15. ndindy

ndindy Member

I'll have to see if I can find it. I was looking at both conversions at the time so it's a 50/50 chance between the 2. IIRC they did the testing on ballistics jell and penetration was lacking on the hotter round.

I took a springfield 1911 to 460 a while back using parts from clark custom. Even with hot loads it was pretty decent to shoot, when it fired. It was a malfunction machine with the conversion. I then converted a glock to the 460, not as nice to shoot the hot loads but reliable.

With the pressure involved and having more experience with the round I'd be concerned with the long term survival of the HP carbine.

The 45 super though... still a pretty low pressure round so probably still safe. I'm just not sure the performance is worth the time and money involved.

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Take apart your 4095 and your 4595 and weigh the Breach Block. From that weight we can figure out if the 4095 Breach Block is heavy enough to manage the 10mm and if the 4595 is heavy enough to manage the 10mm.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

17. No need in my opinion. The 995 tops out at about 1700fps for a 125gr bullet after that gas is lost due to the blow back design.

One could up the slide weight and recoil spring to combat that but 1700 from a 9mm is pretty smoking.

18. undeRGRound

INDY
    Sure, but is there enough room for the required powder, and can the cases handle the pressure? Or is there another faster burning powder (or slower) that can achieve that velocity with a 125gr in that case capacity... Posting loads is not allowed, the board owners are afraid of liability issues. :(

19. The case has the capacity and uping the charge doesn't help, could you use a faster powder but it would increase the already extremely high pressure.

20. Asher1

Asher1 Member

Without posting a load recipe, what powder would someone use to get a 124g into those speeds? I am trying to work up some hotter loads but I don't think the powders I have are going to make it happen...