Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has probable been talked about a lot but I didn't see a thread directly related to the advantages the of 9mm Hi Point vs .45 Hi Point.

For me, having big hands, it seems as though the 9mm looks a little small to hold on to.

Also I like the idea of the lower velocity of the .45. less chance of going through walls!

Then again I do like cheap ammo!

·
Registered
53 Posts
This has probable been talked about a lot but I didn't see a thread directly related to the advantages the of 9mm Hi Point vs .45 Hi Point.

For me, having big hands, it seems as though the 9mm looks a little small to hold on to.

Also I like the idea of the lower velocity of the .45. less chance of going through walls!

I have very large hands. C9 is not the most comfortable I have ever shot, but its not bad.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I have very large hands. C9 is not the most comfortable I have ever shot, but its not bad.
Have you fired the .45 Hi Point? If so do you like it better?

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i like the 45 , i have big hands and it is a good fit, but the 9mm is cheaper, so i got both.
I won't get both right away. It's a money thing!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have big hands and the C9 fits well. If you need a bigger grip, use the 10 round mag.

The .45 just feels like a brick to me. Much to large for my tastes.

As far as caliber comparisons, I won't get into .45 vs. 9mm. Shoot what you are comforatable shooting, either will do the trick. If you cannot bring a .45 back on point for a follow up shot fast enough, go with a nine. If you can keep the .45 on point, go with it. A nine is probably going to be smaller for carry though.

Splitter

·
Registered
59 Posts
You will not shoot through walls with a good 9mm or .45 HP round. HP rounds are designed to penetrate,create large wound cavities,do damage to major organs and stop an opponant quickly. Ball ammo will make a nice clean hole going in and about the same comming out without much in the way of hydrastatic shock. I like the .45 due to the frontal mass...twice that of a 9mm. That said...a properly placed shot from either will get the job done and a HP round will most likely not pass through an assailant and cause collateral damage.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have medium size hands and I shoot and carry a HP .45. I also have the Houge HandAll grip on it.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
You will not shoot through walls with a good 9mm or .45 HP round. HP rounds are designed to penetrate,create large wound cavities,do damage to major organs and stop an opponant quickly. Ball ammo will make a nice clean hole going in and about the same comming out without much in the way of hydrastatic shock. I like the .45 due to the frontal mass...twice that of a 9mm. That said...a properly placed shot from either will get the job done and a HP round will most likely not pass through an assailant and cause collateral damage.
My apartment building in Mesa, AZ would beg to differ. 9mm and .45 does penetrate walls very well. The issue is that you do not know what a thing is made of until you bash a hole in it.

Then again, the issue was created by criminals, so I'm pretty sure they weren't worried about over or under penetration.

For what it's worth: Both pistols are fine weapons made for different applications. Both can easily find a home in anyone's arsenal.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have both the C9 and the JHP and I like my JHP more. I feel I have better control of the JHP when shooting. When I shoot my C9 it feels like it has a stronger recoil than my JHP. But I plan on carrying my C9 for CCW.

·
Si vis pacem para bellum
548 Posts
I own both and used the 10 round magazine in the C9 to help with the grip. Between the two I like my c9 better because of the fit and cost to shoot but the jhp 45 is a real rush too. My c9 is my vehicle gun just because of size.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Have you fired the .45 Hi Point? If so do you like it better?
No I never have shot the 45... I did grip one at the gun show when I got the 9, and I must say it felt a little better to hold. Size was the main deterent, as well as ammo cost.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Condition 1
I must agree. My girl is a tall lanky gal that shoots my JHP better than my 9mm hi-power or 357/38 or her .380. If you do a google search the F.B.I has posted results on 1 shot stops and the .45 has won hands down. The .45 acp has been knocking people down for a long time even with hardball ammo. In my opinion, for what it's worth. I would spend a couple of extra bucks for ammo for the peice of mind.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anyone here prefer the .40 S&W ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Over the 9mm...yes I do favor 40 and up. But back to the issue of 9 vs. 45. I suppose I should have said the HP round of either calibre is not "designed" to penetrate walls...or flesh and bone for that matter. Not knowing the wall type or type of round fired I'm guessing probably FMJ(ball) through sheetrock. A .22 will pass through that unless it hits a wall stud.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
The only reason why I would generally buy a 9mm over a .45 acp is capacity.

In Hi-Points world. Your mag cap is about the same either way so why bother going with the 9mm unless your doing it for comfort, personal preference, or just collecting them all.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I like shooting my JHP better than my wife's C9. The grip on the C9 is too short for my big hands. My pinky has pulled the mag out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts