4595 locks open and won't close

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by Mikial, May 24, 2015.

1. Mikial

Mikial Member

I have a new 4595 that I took out for the first time. The first mag went through fine, but then when the slide locked back after the last shot, and I inserted the next mag, the slide would not go forward. I worked with it for a while and got it forward, shot the next mag and the same thing happened again.

At this point, the bolt was open and nothing I did while standing there on the range could get it to go forward, so I stopped shooting it and took it home. Once at home, I was able to put enough pressure on the charging handle with my hand to get it to snap closed like it should. I can work the action by hand and it will cock and go closed like it should, but if I put an empty mag in and open the action, it locks back like it should, but then even after the empty mag is removed, I have to put a great deal of pressure on the charging handle to get it to snap closed. If feels like it's hanging up on something inside the action.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Is it a simply break-in issue, or is there something hanging up inside?

I will be calling the factory Tuesday, but wondered if anyone else has had this happen to them.

Thanks.

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Just checking. You are releasing the bolt by pulling it fully rearward and letting go after removing the empty mag, right?

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Is the handle lock disengaging? You of course need to pull out that
    knob (handle) to get it to close. You did not mention that, so I did :D

4. Shoot last round, bolt locks open, remove magazine,insert fresh magazine,disengage lock by pulling back on bolt and let it slide forward,inserting round, squeeze trigger,hear BANG squeeze trigger again,repeat until bolt locks open again,repeat steps above until all ammunition is expended or the wife/GF threatens to leave you, fire one more magazine for good measure.

5. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Take the gun a part and check to see if anything is broken cracked or looks not right. You could have a primer floating inside also.

6. Mikial

Mikial Member

Thanks for all the quick replies.

Yes, I am removing the empty mag and then pulling the handle to the rear to try to release it. It doesn't release when I do that, so I manually put pressure on the charging handle until it snaps forward.

When I pull the bolt back with no mag in place it locks open. I can then hit it and it will snap forward. Is this the way it's supposed to work?

I've owned several HP pistols and think they are well worth the money. I always have one or two HPs in my prep stash. I just need to know if I am missing something here with the carbine.

7. talon

talon the banned wagon

No, it should return smoothly. Something's not right.

8. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Somebody here recently installed the charging bolt backwards and it locked up.
    It's all happened before.

9. talon

talon the banned wagon

I remember that. The knurled knob was installed backwards and was rubbing the frame.

10. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Yep just thought about it to

11. Mikial

Mikial Member

Thanks to all for your inout.

I thought of the charging handle and made sure it was good. The charging bolt is installed correctly and it doesn't rub anywhere. It's has plenty of clearance and play.

I'll call the factory Tuesday and see what they say.

12. talon

talon the banned wagon

How about some pics please.

13. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I have this intermittently with my 4595. It isn't my favorite carbine of the 3.

Let us know what they say. I am the second owner.

14. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Does the knob on your charging handle look like this?

Attached Files:

15. Mikial

Mikial Member

Yup, the charging handle looks just like that.

I appreciate the thoroughness, and i have checked all the possibilities. I'll call Hi-Point tomorrow and see what they say. I will pass it along.

16. sw1shers

sw1shers Member

can you disassemble it and take some decent pics of different components?

17. undeRGRound

INDY
    He's well on hos way to sending it back to Mom...

18. rfd

rfd Member

op - any news .... ?

19. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

Would really like to hear what MOM has to say...keep us informed OP. :)

20. undeRGRound

INDY
    :greet::noob:

:welcome: to HPFF!

:D