4595 Range Report- First Time Out

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by RickC1, Jan 24, 2016.

1. RickC1

RickC1 Member

I picked up my new 4595 from my transfer agent earlier in the week, but had to wait until Saturday to give it a whirl. The BSA red dot everybody here seems to like was not available locally (or at least I couldn’t find one ) and I didn’t want to wait for one to be delivered, so I mounted a Tru Glo 5 MOA red dot I picked up at a local Dick’s Sporting Goods, and off we went to the range.

[​IMG]

Since this was a shakedown cruise, the Hi Point was fed a few different kinds of ammo- some cheap brass case 230 FMJ, 230 XTP +P handloads, 230 FMJ handloads, and 200 LSWC handloads. I figured if this little gun was going to have trouble digesting what I give it, I want to know it up front- so I can either troubleshoot it or send it back to the factory- as I have had to do with guns that cost quite a bit more- so armed with that, a screwdriver and an 8mm socket for the iron sights, it was on-

[​IMG]

All shooting was done at 50 yds- first target out of the box with factory 230 FMJ with the iron sights--not too bad considering the trigger and I were not yet on friendly terms- but not all that great, either.

[​IMG]

The iron sights lined up pretty well after a few groups- the rear sight did have to be set left of center a bit, but not all the way to the left as some have had to do. So the red dot was cranked over to be close to the sight picture of the iron sights, and it got interesting-

[​IMG]

First group is at lower left. Second group is upper left. Last group, if you can see it, has 3 of the four touching, and the 4th shot below them. Not bad since I made no attempt to let the barrel cool very much between shots. I was getting used to the trigger (which takes some getting used to!) and was starting to have fun with this gun.

Last target- just for grins- this was shooting as fast as I could aim and as fast as the range rules would allow, with no cooling time between shots- the larger holes upper left and straying away from the bullseye are the milder 200 LSWC rounds-

[​IMG]

Observations:
    1. This little gun is a Lot Of Fun.

2. No jams, FTF, FTE, none of that. Not a one, right out of the box. My more expensive 45s and 9mms eventually got there, but not a one of them was perfect right out of the gate. The only other autoloader I own that could say that is my little KelTec P-3AT. I’m seeing a trend here.

3. That trigger is really bad- so bad I had to laugh, but you get used to it. I have Timneys on all my bolt guns so you know what I’m used to, but this is a whole different thing so I’m willing to be more forgiving.

4. My HKS 45 mag loader won’t work with the Hi Point magazine- the mag is a little too wide to fit in the slot. After thumbing all those rounds into the mag with dry winter hands, I may modify that loader to fit the Hi Point-

[​IMG]

But loading the magazine was not all that bad, surely not like loading a Makarov or a Tokarev that almost have fillet knife edges on the magazine lips!

5. Not being used to a red dot sight, it was easy to cant (slightly) the gun if I didn't make it a point -not- to. That probably won't make a huge difference at the ranges this carbine will typically be used, but I'll have to watch for that.

6. A range officer commented that he could see the bullets heading toward the target- I asked a shooter next to me if he wanted to shoot the 4595 (and he did, he'd been watching), so he did, and sure enough- you could follow those FMJs all the way to the 50 yard target. Ha!

The only other thing I can recall is after shooting 100 rounds of the Monarch and switching to my handloads, it was nice to smell Bullseye and Unique burning after smelling whatever those Serbian round are loaded with. Those old Alliant powders may be sooty, but they smell like God intended pistol powders to smell.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Welcome to the asylum! You apparently have some experience with things gun related, so it's cool that you took a chance on the cheap stuff, and found out that the HP can deliver.:)

3. RickC1

RickC1 Member

Thanks very much!

4. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Welcome!... Nice to have you!

5. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Welcome from the Great Southwest!!!

That was a great first time Range Report! I absolutely love my 4595TS.
    Fun Fun Fun!!

6. RickC1

RickC1 Member

Thanks, gentlemen. Lots of good info on this board- just ordered a pair of speedloaders (thanks again for that) and hope to have time to break the seal on a new pound of BE-86 this week and see how that powder does with this HP. I have always liked the accuracy and velocity of AA#5 in .45 ACP but have always ended up with a lot of gritty residue. Hopefully the BE-86 will live up to its billing.

Thanks!

Rick

7. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

Attached Files:

8. erkevin

erkevin Member

Saw that also

My son was using my 4595 last month at the range and I too, commented that i could see the round as it headed down range

9. undeRGRound

INDY
    :welcome:erkevin!!!
    I have seen the 45 ACP in flight as well, pretty cool :D :cool:

10. Flydean1

Flydean1 Member

With my implanted lens, set for long range, I can't see the ghost ring, and barely the front sight. Therefore, I ordered the BSA red dot with my 4595 to begin with. Took both the front and rear sight assemblies clean off the rifle, and mounted a muzzle compensator. Haven't fired it with the compensator yet, but with the red dot out to 50 yds all rounds landed really really close to where I pointed the dot. This after about 4 3-round groups. I highly recommend a red dot for those of us whose near and distant vision is less flexible. The speed loader works really well too. I wish it, and the little combo tool, were painted day-glo orange!!!

11. mworley1

mworley1 Member

That's a good report. I recently picked up a used 4595, and the front site post was canted to the right. Took me about and hour to get the iron sights lined up. My brother was on his spotting scope and mentioned about seeing round down range. I ordered a red dot last night, I think the speed loaders are on my to get list.
    My problem is with iron sights my vision ain't what it used to be, the rear sight is a fuzzy circle. My days of 500 yards with M16A1 are LONG gone, anything over 50-60 yards is too blurry.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  12. Dohrmc

Dohrmc IIWFWTIWRTW Member

I got some new glasses, and it has been a big help in seeing the sights better.

13. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Sucks getting old doesn't it. At least that's what Molecular told me. :'(

14. RickC1

RickC1 Member

Ha! I could stand some new glasses, it's about that time!

Follow up- re: Tru Glo Red Dot- Second range session yesterday, about 200 rounds total through this gun now. The front mount on this red dot came loose -twice- just from normal shooting. I still have the package and receipt, I'm taking it back.

Also- one of the screws near the butt of the stock came out- I'm glad I noticed it when it fell. I'm not sure if this is a common thing with these guns, but the blue LocTite is coming out when I can get to it.

Rick

15. mworley1

mworley1 Member

Gentleman my vision is better since I got new glasses but I still can't fire over iron sights at 500 yds prone, can't see that far and belly gets in way... :D

I did order a red dot for my 4595, waiting to get it.

Yes it does suck getting old, stuff hurts, creaks, pops; shall I go on? If I was loaded with dough I'd have my eyes surgically corrected.

No matter how bad my eyesight is the carbine is just pure fun to shoot.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  16. RickC1

RickC1 Member

Picked up a BSA Huntsman red dot. Hope to get out this weekend and see how it does.

17. Telehillsdale

Telehillsdale Member

Welcome!

Glad you like your Hi Point. I have the 9mm and I agree it is too fun. I suggest you just get an UpLULA universal mag loader. It seems to work well with every kind of magazine. It is a breeze with the 9mm Glock, Beretta and Hi Point mags. Check it out.

18. Bamaboy

Bamaboy Member

MOM now sells a mag loader so no more magazine bites, waiting on mine due in next week.
    Then its reload a few dozen magazines while watching my favorite youtube gun channels and all the shot show 2016 news.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  19. undeRGRound

INDY
    That's what YOU told ME!!!
    You have more hard miles, anyway ;)

:welcome:telehillsdale!!!
    Good to have you!