4595 TS Bolt handle keeps coming loose

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by planosteve, Aug 11, 2014.

1. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

After about 100 to 150 rds my bolt handle keeps coming loose. I tried blue loc-tite (although it was a few months old) and that did not stop the problem. Now I do a lot of rapid fire and think heat and dissimilar metals might be the problem.

Any of you mechanics have any ideas on what to do that will still allow me to remove the bolt handle if needed. As this is the only issue I have with the carbine I am not going to consider it a major problem, it just annoys me.

2. planosteve

Add before anyone says it, Yes I do have a screw loose.

3. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Yellow pipe/thread/teflon tape for gas lines.

4. Geezer

Geezer Junior Member Member

Since I've had my 4595 it has been shot a lot. No loosening up on mine. If the locktite didn't secure it, I'm thinking the threads on either the bolt handle or bolt itself may be out of spec. Ask for another bolt handle and try that. If you still have the same problem you may want to send it back for examination.

5. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

my 995TS does the same thing and is annoying as heck !!!

6. planosteve

I am going to try the yellow pipe tape. Thanks for the advise. If that doesn't work I will call MOM.

7. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

A little RTV silicone should do the trick. Or a tube of "Shoegoo."

8. LongShotMfg

LongShotMfg Sponsor

As a suggestion...try some shooting without the handle on. Try it with just the bolt screwed in place. I know,... the manual hold open feature of the handle won't work with just the bolt, but you will be able to tell if it is a problem with the threads coming loose or not due to the quality of their fit.

If the bolt stays tight without the handle, next thing I would do would be to re-install the handle but with a small amount of grease on the handle shaft to allow it to spin free and eliminate friction and vibration. The slapping and rubbing action of the free floating handle can have the ability to loosen the bolt.

Another thing you can do do eliminate the slapping action is to place a very thin o-ring between the head of the bolt and the handle. This will create a soft bumper, but you will need to make sure that the o-ring still allows the handle to float enough so as not to bind against the receiver shroud or cause a problem with the hold open feature. Also, be sure to also grease the o-ring so that it doesn't add friction to the way the handle floats.

I try not to use Loctite unless it is absolutely the only option. Loctite breaks down when exposed to heat. Also, when you remove the bolt, the dried bits of Loctite can dislodge and contaminate areas where you don't want it to go.

If none of the above suggestions work or help, the next thing you should do would be to replace the handle and bolt with a new one. If the threads on the bolt truly are bad, you don't want them to me damaging the mating threads or possibly break off in place.

Just my thoughts and suggestions.
    j.

9. rbarna94

rbarna94 Member

I think the manual says to just tighten it more and it seems to work for me, just use the tool if you have one.

10. dirtroadrider

dirtroadrider War Eagle Member

What does Hi Point say the torque is on that bolt?