Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and first off, thanks for checking this out.

I finally picked up a 4595, had one magazine, I took it right to the range and put about 100 RDs through it. Not a single failure.

I decided to go beyond the 9 RD mag and picked up a pair of well reviewed ProMag 14 RD mags.

I knew right off when I started loading the first one up. The first round would not seat into the mag without a few minutes of fiddling around. The rest went in a slight bit better. But it was a struggle. I had my doubts on coming back out.

I wasn't at a range, so I couldn't try it out with firing it, but I racked the first round and it chambered with difficulty. Ejected it, and the next round jammed. And the next. One chambered, and jam again. Was it just a bad mag? I loaded up the other, which loaded easier, so I was optimistic. It was short lived. Chamber, fail fail, chamber, fail.

So, anyone else have this experience? May it have anything to do with the ammo? They are reloads. 45 ACP. I would be confounded that a magazine is so temperamental that a reload fails so miserably.

Suggestions, commiserations?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
24,919 Posts
Hello and first off, thanks for checking this out.

I finally picked up a 4595, had one magazine, I took it right to the range and put about 100 RDs through it. Not a single failure.

I decided to go beyond the 9 RD mag and picked up a pair of well reviewed ProMag 14 RD mags.

I knew right off when I started loading the first one up. The first round would not seat into the mag without a few minutes of fiddling around. The rest went in a slight bit better. But it was a struggle. I had my doubts on coming back out.

I wasn't at a range, so I couldn't try it out with firing it, but I racked the first round and it chambered with difficulty. Ejected it, and the next round jammed. And the next. One chambered, and jam again. Was it just a bad mag? I loaded up the other, which loaded easier, so I was optimistic. It was short lived. Chamber, fail fail, chamber, fail.

So, anyone else have this experience? May it have anything to do with the ammo? They are reloads. 45 ACP. I would be confounded that a magazine is so temperamental that a reload fails so miserably.

Thanks!
Welcome to the asylum.

Don't hand cycle live rounds. The firing pin is a key component in the extraction and ejection process and you COULD cause an OOB ND.

The best advice you'll ever get around here is, "shut up and go shoot it." It's not us being jerks, it's just truth. A lot of new gun, old owner issues are "solved" at the range.

The promags for the 4095 and 4595 tend to be pretty reliable, but you'll need to go shoot with them before you ask for 'expert' advice around here.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the asylum.

Don't hand cycle live rounds. The firing pin is a key component in the extraction and ejection process and you COULD cause an OOB ND.

The best advice you'll ever get around here is, "shut up and go shoot it." It's not us being jerks, it's just truth. A lot of new gun, old owner issues are "solved" at the range.

The promags for the 4095 and 4595 tend to be pretty reliable, but you'll need to go shoot with them before you ask for 'expert' advice around here.
Not part of the club yet. "OOB ND". Do I need to buy I special decoder ring before I go any further?

·
Premium Member
36,038 Posts
Out Of Battery Negligent Discharge.

NOT goodness.;)

Reactions: histed

·
Premium Member
8,975 Posts
I couldn't try it out with firing it, but I racked the first round and it chambered with difficulty. Ejected it, and the next round jammed. And the next. One chambered, and jam again.
Go on eBay and get yourself some snap caps.
You probably can get ten for under $10 and it's money well spent.

Reactions: OldOutlaw

·
Registered
798 Posts
I agree with the others, you will not know until you go shoot it.

That being said, I will not buy promag anything. Every promag that I have ever owned or dealt with has been pure junk. I know that other people have had good luck with them. I’m happy for them. But that has not been my experience.

This is no joke. The last promag that I owned, I shot. As in I used it as a target. It was the only magazine that had ever made my Ak jam.

·
Premium Member
21,440 Posts
Dragonbreath ^^^^^^^^ is from AlaFrikkenBama :lol: he can't load a mag right.

I will tell you even with the factory 9rd mags with every round push the rear down making the round go "nose up." I am willing to bet a 15rd 1911 spring would work in these mags. I have a shitpile of 14rd mags and they work great. One of them (#4) needs a slap on the bottom for the first round. Also every couple of rounds whack it backwards in your palm to seat the rounds to the rear.

Redball Sports makes 20rd mags that get the official "official Okie dokie approval" from :DMOM:D I don't have any of them yet. Welcome to the insanity!! :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dragonbreath ^^^^^^^^ is from AlaFrikkenBama :lol: he can't load a mag right.

I will tell you even with the factory 9rd mags with every round push the rear down making the round go "nose up." I am willing to bet a 15rd 1911 spring would work in these mags. I have a shitpile of 14rd mags and they work great. One of them (#4) needs a slap on the bottom for the first round. Also every couple of rounds whack it backwards in your palm to seat the rounds to the rear.

Redball Sports makes 20rd mags that get the official "official Okie dokie approval" from :DMOM:D I don't have any of them yet. Welcome to the insanity!! :p
Thanks for the info. Now THAT's what I need. Good answers.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
. . . I will not buy Promag anything. Every Promag that I have ever owned or dealt with has been pure junk . . .

This is no joke. The last Promag that I owned, I shot. As in I used it as a target. It was the only magazine that had ever made my AK [rifle] jam.
I remember reading a comment someone wrote on the Internet. They said paraphrased that somewhere in an undeveloped country in a hut in Africa, people are making decent quality AK-47 magazines. But Promag cannot make a decent AK-47 magazine.

I agree with what you said. Promag Industries has poor quality control. A .45 Auto Promag magazine carved out my 4595 carbine magazine well and made the factory magazines loose in it. When I called Hi-Point to get a replacement stock they told me the Promag magazine voided my warranty on the stock and I had to pay for it with my own money out of pocket.

Stay away from Promag Industries magazines in my opinion. I have had several experiences with their products and most were failures.

·
Banned
339 Posts
Thank you to everyone that was helpful. Much obliged.
Also, Hi-Point officially states that the use of Promags void the factory warranty.

·
Premium Member
21,440 Posts
I thought that was with the last generation 995 only. HP has made no mention of the 4095 and 4595 using Promag mags.
New guy actually read his yellow piece of paper in his box with his new carbine. Good for him! :) He doesn't know the evolution of the 9mm ProMag. Doesn't know that pertained to the 995 only and the notice has pics of the really old style ProMags that have been out of production for 8+years that I know of.

Welcome aboard @Vermonter!!

·
Banned
339 Posts
I thought that was with the last generation 995 only. HP has made no mention of the 4095 and 4595 using Promag mags.
I just got my most recent 4595TS and there was a card in the box that showed the tops of the two magazines (one was Hi-Point) and a warning about the ProMags not feeding properly, potentially damaging the firearm and not supporting last round hold open. But you're right, it didn't say anything about voiding the warranty.

·
Banned
339 Posts
New guy actually read his yellow piece of paper in his box with his new carbine. Good for him! :) He doesn't know the evolution of the 9mm ProMag. Doesn't know that pertained to the 995 only and the notice has pics of the really old style ProMags that have been out of production for 8+years that I know of.

Welcome aboard @Vermonter!!
No, I didn't know that. Doesn't matter for me anyway, in VT we have a 10 round mag max for anything you didn't already own before June of last year, so my newer Hi-Points are out of luck except for the two RB's I already had.

·
Banned
339 Posts
And thanks for the welcome!

·
Premium Member
21,440 Posts
I just got my most recent 4595TS and there was a card in the box that showed the tops of the two magazines (one was Hi-Point) and a warning about the ProMags not feeding properly, potentially damaging the firearm and not supporting last round hold open. But you're right, it didn't say anything about voiding the warranty.
It's a 995 (non TS) thing. The top ate into the bottom of the feed ramp on the 9's. And yes it would void the warranty. There may have been a change in the feed ramp just before the introduction of the 995TS. Don't quote me on that as I have never held a 995.

To tell you how old that info is, the original 995 did not have LRBHO. So the follower probably didn't have that concept in mind.

Reactions: Vermonter

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
in VT we have a 10 round mag max for anything you didn't already own before June of last year
Awwww.. That's cute. Like they have dates on them or something.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts