45acp or 45 colt out of 30-06

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by moona11, Nov 9, 2014.

1. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Has anyone cut down 30-06 cases for 45 ACP or 45 colt or a hybrid of it. I have 2000 rds of fired blank ammo and dont know what to do with it. i have a Governor that might like it :) Does anyone have any ideas.

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Have you considered the difference in thickness of rifle case walls causing a chambering issue without internal reaming of the mouth prior to seating the projectile, the difference in the rims potentially causing undue wear on the extractor, reduced powder capacity from wall thickness, and the potential for a catastrophic failure of the platform if you decide to load hot rounds because the extra thickness will allow for higher pressures?

Just some issues I've read up on while researching my own foray in to the reloading world.

3. moona11

That's why I am asking. The Governor needs to use the moon clips for them and no chamber issues and no extractor issues either. I don't do hot loads so I was wandering if any one has done it before.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
  5. bigfrank330

bigfrank330 Member

Hey Moona11
    I could use the 30-06 if you decide to sell or scrap
    30-06 is hard to come by around me
    Frank

6. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

A couple of friends and I used to make 7.63 Mauser ammo for our Broomhandles by cutting down 5.56mm shell casings.

This was before the wide availability of 7.63mm in the states. We used cast 88 gr lead bullets. It worked pretty well.

eldar

7. moona11

These are made in 2012 get them from HG training. From what I hear blanks are reject cases not fit for full load but would work fine for 45 of some kind.

8. I've considered it but only have one case to try it on. When I get more with split necks then I'll give it a try. But you have blanks that really can't be used for anything else so cut them down and give it a try. Let us know how it works out for you.

9. moona11

I was thinking a 45 colt OAL or less for bear load. Bored but want it safe to use. The Governor is not built like a Black hawk but can take +p rounds. Any ideas.

10. moona11

Come on reloaders any ideas for a 30-06 cut down.

11. Just do it !!! You can make 45 acp shot shells and 45 acp cases out of .308 Win and 30 '06 cases. Cut 'em a tad long trim load then shoot. could be other cases like 243 and 270 that may work also. Hmmm that gives me an idea.