45acp question.

Discussion in 'Gun Reviews and Range Reports' started by kevin6154, May 4, 2014.

1. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

So I'm mainly a long rifle guy. Most of my exp w a pistol was 357mag. I've recently bought a 40sw and a jh45. The 45 seems to be 4 to 5 inches low at 25 yards. The 45 will be my nightstand gun because it is way more reliable than my 40. The question is how much drop (if any) would be normal at 25yrds? Should I adjust my sight for elivation or just aim high at that distance? My 40 seems dead nuts at 25 yards. The cost of ammo prohibits extensive testing so any info would be helpfull. Thnx!

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    So?? Exactly why do you think it has adjustable sights?

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    If you are planning to use the gun for HD, you need to shoot it at your HD distance. No many people have a 75 foot shot in their house.

Then you'll know how high to aim.:)

4. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

That's what sayin. At 20 yards I was able to hit and hit repeatedly a 10" target. Has to aim 4 to 6" high. Windage was spot on. I can shoot it at "hd" range at my club but the grass is very thick, making brass retrieval a pain in the a$$. In my house I'm theoretically lookin at 10 to 14 feet.

5. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Well the wind age has a screw and seems as the Allen key and Philips would raise and lower the rear sight like on my jcp.

6. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

The longest straight line distance in my house is 10-12 yards.
    I need to check it again as it's been a while but my JHP was sighted at 10 yards.

According to my ballistics app a 230gr .45ACP sighted in at 10 yards shoots 3.1 inches low at 50 and 18.7 at 100 yards.

So your gun shoots low, move the sight up.

In comparison, a 7.62x25 zero'd at 10 yards would drop 0.3 inches at 50 yards and 4.3 at 100 yards.......ZING.......:D

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  7. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

That's bout what I was looking for. Thnx! Longest in house shot would be approx 7 yards or less. I now I can hit center mass right now where it is. But as a perfectionist I always want better. I suppose I can't realy tell after only 50 rounds. Just gonna have to shoot more:)

8. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

7 yards (21 feet) is the standard measure for SD. Why mess with a good thing?

"Insanity is when you keeping trying the same mistake over and over, expecting it to work."

9. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Still low by 6". Only took a few shots up close. The grass is thick by the target board, club rule is that you pick up all you brass. A major pain in thick grass. I did ok at 20 yards but was aiming about an inch or so above the target. Shouldn't be that much drop at 20 yards. ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1399342280.663711.jpg ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1399342280.663711.jpg

10. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

Is your rear sight not adjustable?

11. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

I believe it is. Looks identical to my jcp rear sight. Didn't have tools with me at the range and it was my first time out with it. Mainly I was focused on functionality, feeding, shel ejecting, primer strike. Everything is in working order so I'll fine tune on my nxt outing. As of now it is my night stand gun till I get more ammo. There's a ruger p95 ready to go on my wife's side of the bed. Lol we live in a rough neighborhood!

12. I have caught myself nosing the gun down sometimes when i shoot for some reason, i guess when i pull the trigger i tend to pull the nose down as well on my .45.

One end of my house to the other end is 76 feet.

13. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

I didn't have that problem w my jcp40. I'm gonna prolly take my time and make very small adjustments till I'm comfy w it. My 40 was good from the get go. I'm not the original owner. Possibly some one may have added the ghost ring sight then went back to standard and not adjusted.

14. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    It's used. Previous owner adjusted the sight for their needs. Now it's your turn. No need to over think the whole thing. It really is just that simple.

15. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

I hear ya, but at $23/per box of ammo I just hope to get it right with out using too much of it lol. Sighted in dozens of rifle scopes into life, never had to sight in a pistol before. So it's new to me.

16. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Get some Tula if you can find any in your neck of the woods.
    Around $15/50 for .45's

17. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Saw Tula 40sw at Wally World. Only 25cents cheaper than federal. I like federal cause it's pretty clean shooting. So far I've shot blazer brass out of it. My bday is in 3 days. I do believe the ammo fairy shall be dropping off a 250rnd value pack of umc. Or at least that's what my wife has hinted to:)

18. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Me too! I'll be 44.... Supposed to be getting a rifle sometime...

19. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

.308 .308 .308!!!

20. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

She bought me my mosin nagant 91/30 for Christmas. A woman that buys guns and ammo is a keeper!