5.56 and .223 ammo suggestions?

Discussion in 'Caliber Zone' started by SWAGA, Aug 21, 2014.

1. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

AS some of you may know I'll soon venture into the dark evil rifle territory and I'm trying to get familiar with the ammo.
    Its chambered in 5.56 with a 1/12 twist so I've been told to stick to 55 grain or lighter.
    two days ago snooping around Walmart and comparing 5.56/.223 ammo.
    Found some 40 grain varmint rounds zipping along at 3700fps but according to Youtube penetration in gel is only 3 inches before they pretty much vaporize.
    That's not going to be enough for the two legged variety.....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fywBaNSRYGA[/ame]

What's your favorite 5.56/.223 and why?

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Well, you could run up to a MAX of 55gr with a 1:12, IMO. I don't like flat base rounds and preferred a 55gr boat tailed projectile myself when I owned an EBR. I really liked the performance of the Black Hills 52gr MHP.

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    My favorite is whatever I can find for a decent price.;)

I tend to stick with 55 grains, just because my stuff is zeroed for it.

But I have a box of 62 grain waiting to load. We'll see how it shoots in my gun.

4. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

My favorite is a 60 grain Nosler partition. I like it for hunting. With a 1/12 I would probably stick with 52 to 55 grain bullets.

As far as home defense, the 223 is often preferred because they generally will not penetrate as much as some pistol calibers. That could be a good thing.

5. SWAGA

Several sites advocate weights up to 62 grain for a 1/12 barrel.
    This is where it gets confusing......

6. SWO1

SWO1 Member

Like ALL rifles, and pistols for that matter, depends.

If your rifle is truly chambered for 5.56 in (modern)Mil Spec it will be a 1:7. From your post it leads to believe you have a 1:12 which is a couple gens back. Although it may be CHAMBERED to Mil spec which has a longer leade than .223. Evolution of the Mil Spec twists started out 1:14, then to 1:12, and then to 1:9 and presently is at 1:7. This progression is to fire the Tracer rounds more accurately which have a longer bullet than FMJ. Will it be suitable for the zippy varmint rounds ? Only way to know for sure is to shoot them. Same goes for any commercially produced ammo. Mostly that stuff is made for the longer barreled bolt guns and highly modified ARs with custom barrels ect.

I havnt shot the ARs for a long time, since retiring from the MC. However I do shoot a .223 bench rifle but I roll my own. No matter what the chamber or twist it will be suitable for Self Defense with 55 gr FMJ. For commercial ammo I shoot the Federal 55 gr FMJ in .223. This is only to obtain the brass for reloading. I like Federal brass with Remington 7 `1/2 primers with a Sierra 53 gr Match King bullet in front of 335 powder. Unless you are shootng for Maximum Accuracy no need to stay with only bullets under 60 gr. For minute of bad guy or even deer they should group fine in your gun. Shoot what ever you can get and compare the RESULTS. As you know two guns, same make, same specs will get different results form various makes. You may find a brand that shoots great, and then buy some more and it will differ, sometimes greatly. When you change Lots of commercial ammo it tends to not shoot the same as previous lots, this is true of any commercial ammo from .22 rimfire to what ever caliber of center fire.

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Testify SWO1!

My only regret is that I have but one like to give for your post.;)

8. SWAGA

Couple of generations back....true.
    1980-ies EBR

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1408713397.247286.jpg

I wouldn't call it research but my travels on the 'net have shown it's a 1/12 twist barrel.
    Since I had to sacrifice my two long rifles (30.06 and 7.62x54r) as a down payment for this puppy I would like it to fill several rolls.
    Overall target shooting, plinking, range fun gun but also some longer range stuff and Hurricane gun.
    Might be some light hog hunting in my future also since they're a pest here in Florida.

9. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

For all my AR's I use only 55gr FMJ for two legged varmints in a SHTF situation. For my bolt action 223's I roll my own for best accuracy and this is different from rifle to rifle.

55gr FMJ is an all around load for AR's and bolt actions for general use and SHTF use.

10. SWAGA

Anybody using steel case like Wolf or Silver Bear?

11. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

I use Tula steel case and have no issues with it. I have seen other people have issues using it in their AR's, but I have never had an issue. It is dirtier then brass cased, this is due to the steel case not having the expansion a brass case does in the chamber. I also run steel case in my bolt actions and have never had a problem.

12. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I've thrown about 90 rds of steel cased wolf through mine..... No problems, except it's dirty, and I get a ammonia-ish smell from it.... But I shoot lefty, so it may be more noticeable to me.

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Unless you fill your walls with sand or wallpaper with kevlar, anything you shoot will go through too many walls to care whether you should shoot the gobblin with a 5.56 or a 9mm.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

14. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

If You are really interested in longer range shooting, upgrade Your barrel to a tighter rifling - 1:9 or even 1:7 - You will then be able to shoot heavier bullets which will increase your accuracies.

eldar

15. Check the hunting regs in FLA. I was gonna use my AR for hog hunting last year but FWC said NO. It has to do with a restriction on magazines over 5 rounds. I would love for them to change that antiquated law.

16. SWAGA

I'll have to see what this thing likes or dislikes. May take a while as it's still on layaway purgatory.
    It's gonna take some time to get proficient with it so a barrel swap is not in my immediate future.
    Keep in mind 400-500 yards is long range for me.
    Anything further and I'd probably go with a bolt action 30.06 or 308.
    If SHTF we're talking urban ranges area denial weapon.

I doubt the AR180 was anything but a 2-3 MOA weapon anyway.
    Got a big 'ol 4x12 scope waiting for it.

17. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

You know they make 40rd mags for that thing right?

18. SWO1

SWO1 Member

500 yards is what we shot with off the rack armory rifles for requal, using 55 gr Lake City ammo. Keeping it in the black (minute of enemy) was no problem with iron sights. Of course back then I could see "a little better" than I do now. With a scope ...... No problem. Of course you have to watch the wind, a little breeze plays heck with the little pills.

19. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

They make five round mags

20. SWAGA

Yep, that's next on my list.
    Getting some additional mags.
    But the originals are expensive and the modified mags are few and far between.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014