Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
41 - 60 of 83 Posts

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Yeah, you must have missed the thread where I posted how UPS seized (rumors say destroyed a few too) thousands of firearms in transit and canceled hundreds of shipping contracts with manufacturers and dealers after they enacted newer, more strict, and extremely cost prohibitive shipping policies for firearms, parts, ammunition, receivers, suppressors, and even replicas.
I remember a podcast a little while back where UPS canceled or held a bunch of stuff from "ghost gun" sellers. I didn't recall them extending it to other stuff.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Registered
Everything I can get my hands on!
451 Posts
Yeah, you must have missed the thread where I posted how UPS seized (rumors say destroyed a few too) thousands of firearms in transit and canceled hundreds of shipping contracts with manufacturers and dealers after they enacted newer, more strict, and extremely cost prohibitive shipping policies for firearms, parts, ammunition, receivers, suppressors, and even replicas.
I stopped using FedEx cause they screwed several shipments up on me. Now UPS? That sucks! If you're going to buy or sell a gun out of state Bud's gun shop has a service called Ship your gun that was very reasonable when sold a gun to a guy in Arizona from New York. They even insure it and will send you proper shipping materials if you don't have 'em. That being said, I don't know what carrier they're using so that may be a problem now too.:rolleyes:

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
YEOW :oops: , I'm sorry man that's a new one on me. If you called him right away and he told you that then it's BS. He should of been able to change the shipping. I would of told him I was disputing the charges on my credit card! If he wants to stay in business he better figure out how to at least warn people on his website! I'm going to write him and tell him so!
That REALLY pisses me off.
Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Logo

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I stopped using FedEx cause they screwed several shipments up on me. Now UPS? That sucks! If you're going to buy or sell a gun out of state Bud's gun shop has a service called Ship your gun that was very reasonable when sold a gun to a guy in Arizona from New York. They even insure it and will send you proper shipping materials if you don't have 'em. That being said, I don't know what carrier they're using so that may be a problem now too.:rolleyes:
If I have to ship, I take it to a LGS and let them ship, they can ship legally through USPS and get a decent rate.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I've never tried graphite, When I worked in a Brass plant they used graphite in the cast shop and it was really nasty stuff. It might of been totally different then what you're talking about using so maybe someone that's used it before can chime in.
I'm concerned about the disulphide breaking down into sulfuric acid.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Premium Member
25,810 Posts
I remember a podcast a little while back where UPS canceled or held a bunch of stuff from "ghost gun" sellers. I didn't recall them extending it to other stuff.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I posted an entire article about it, and included a direct link to their new rules.

· Registered
451 Posts
I'm really going to have to break down and buy a chrono. I've been skating along on published data and estimates but I think I need it for this load development. :(
I'd stay away from the Caldwell chrono.s . I've had two and they just seem to die for no reason. I'm using a Competition Electronics pro- chrono. now and have had no problems for the past two years with it. The one thing I did wind up doing was buying some heavy duty lights so it would read the smaller Hornet bullets in doors at my one club. If memory serves (and it doesn't always) I bought them off fleabay.

· Registered
451 Posts
I'm concerned about the disulphide breaking down into sulfuric acid.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I've read that can happen, But I've shot probably 200 rounds through the pistol with the spray coating and a bore scope doesn't show any damage. I do run Ballistol through all my pistols after shooting them so maybe that gives a moisture barrier.

· Registered
451 Posts
Today I received the 51st. edition of the Lyman reloading manual and It's disappointing as far as 5.7 info. In fact it doesn't have any more info. than the Western Powder reloading info. other than suggesting 800x powder and N340 can be used for the 35gn. and 40gn Vmax bullets. It shows no pressure readings and only those two and the 45sp (Speer) projectiles and still recommends AA#7 as the favored powder.

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Today I received the 51st. edition of the Lyman reloading manual and It's disappointing as far as 5.7 info. In fact it doesn't have any more info. than the Western Powder reloading info. other than suggesting 800x powder and N340 can be used for the 35gn. and 40gn Vmax bullets. It shows no pressure readings and only those two and the 45sp (Speer) projectiles and still recommends AA#7 as the favored powder.
Thanks for letting me know.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Lyman 49th lists (that I know of)

Powder:
  • N340
  • 800X
  • True Blue
  • Blue Dot
  • HJS-7
  • AA#7
Bullets:
  • 35 gr. V-Max
  • 40 gr. V-Max
  • "45 gr. Jacketed SP"
I know this because a yootoober who was loading 5.7 left his Lyman 49th open while filming and showed the first page of 5.7 loads. I was able to pause and screen shot then zoom in and get a very clear view. There may be a second page but the toober didn't flip the page. :)

I wonder if Lyman would be willing to give you the load data from the older 49th because you purchased the newer 51st?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Registered
451 Posts
Well, I just spent a few hours cruising the internet and found a link to Lee's 2nd edition of modern reloading. Ain't too modern! Lots of exotic past cartridges but nothing as new as the 6.5 Creedmore, the 22TCM, or the 5.7. As far as Lyman showing two extra powders in the older manual for the 5.7, I tend to think they're no longer in there for a reason.

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Well, I just spent a few hours cruising the internet and found a link to Lee's 2nd edition of modern reloading. Ain't too modern! Lots of exotic past cartridges but nothing as new as the 6.5 Creedmore, the 22TCM, or the 5.7. As far as Lyman showing two extra powders in the older manual for the 5.7, I tend to think they're no longer in there for a reason.
I found the Lyman 49 on fleabay, current bid $10 w/ $4 shipping. I'll probably be outbid but I don't think I'll bid more. I'm willing to go $15.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Premium Member
25,810 Posts
Really? My Lee 2nd Ed has the basic loads y'all have already mentioned. My Hornady 9th and Sierra book have nothing 5.7 related.

I was curious so I checked what I have.

Reactions: lklawson

· Administrator
28,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Really? My Lee 2nd Ed has the basic loads y'all have already mentioned. My Hornady 9th and Sierra book have nothing 5.7 related.

I was curious so I checked what I have.
I'm a little surprised that Hornady doesn't because the V-VAX is one of the go-to bullets, listed in every data set that has loads for 5.7.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

41 - 60 of 83 Posts