5 gal. buckets, milk crates, and PVC...

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Oct - 2009)' started by stonebridge, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Hey guys,

I know that there are lots of uses for 5 gal. buckets, milk crates, and PVC pipe, especially in survival planning. How about sharing your experiences with them and posting pictures of your own projects or those you've found online?

-'bridge

2. One of the things I am currently in the planning stages on is a pvc greenhouse. I figure that the ability to grow veggies would come in handy when the SHTF.

http://pvcgreenhouse.blogspot.com/

3. I work for a broadline food service distributor (like Sysco or GFS), so I can take home a couple of milk crates here and there without any issue. Right now, I have a couple in the back of my Tahoe that I use to keep my stuff from sliding around. They're light weight, tougher than nails, have amazing carrying capacity you can stack them up pretty much anywhere when they're empty.

4. I have 35 gallon plastic drums from work. I have been thinking about storing water and gas in them. Also some 55 gallon metal one(rarer) that have a removable top for an ammo cache.

5. bomber101581

bomber101581 Well-Known Member

if you line a milk crate with trash bags, you have a makeshift sink for washing dishes or whatever you can think of

6. Fourboxes

Fourboxes Member

Careful with this, a lot of trashbags are coated with pesticides.

7. bomber101581

adds flavor

8. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

9. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Camp shower house with coleman propane water heater.

10. I took a 5 gal plastic bucket and cut 2 holes on the side opisite each other and a 4 small holes in the bottom for drainage and inserted 2 Roma tomato plants and filled it about 3/4 full of a mixture of mushroom compost and Miracle grow potting soil . I hung it from a clothes line pole .
    Spot

11. neothespian

neothespian Member

I *heart* PVC :D So many useful things, and it's light and easy to work with too! When plastics and polymers are applied correctly, they truly ARE the wonder material.

12. If you "acquire" milk crates look for the fiberglass reinforced ones. Lots tougher than the plain plastic ones, you can support a lot more weight on one.

13. bomber101581

how do you tell the difference?

14. Delmar

Delmar Member

How about a portable chicken coupe

[​IMG]
    a fiend of mine raises chickens and turkeys this way. The pen has no floor. you drag it to a different location in the yard each day and you don't ever have to haul chicken manure. Chickens raised this way will supplement their diet with grass and bugs. Chickens love termites, by the way!

15. Plain plastic ones look like cheap injection molded plastic crates like they sell at WalMart. You can easily flex them. The fiberglass ones will have a "texture" to them where you can see the glass fibers running through the plastic and will be rigid.

16. bomber101581

cool, i think that describes all the ones I have "acquired" except for one, and that exception is in pieces, basically just a trash box....

17. Pozz

Pozz Member

NW GA
    Bought one of these to have around just in case. :embarrassed2: Might want to keep it outside though.

[​IMG]

18. neothespian

neothespian Member

Don't forget plastic bags!!!!!

You can fuse them together to make a durable fabric, and it's really not too hard!!  My favourite YouTube channel, makezine, has an awesome vid that shows how you can turn plastic bags into a messenger bag using just an iron and those cheap disposable trash/grocery bags!  (oh, and some waxed paper of course).  I've done it myself, and it's pretty durable stuff!  You can machine or hand sew it, and if there is ONE thing you can find all over the world it's plastic trash bags.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB1mE8e35UY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB1mE8e35UY[/ame]

And, yes, it's from the same group that Kipkay, the hacker from the Digital TV converter hack posted elsewhere in the Survival Zone, works for!!!  Although I like Bre Pettis's take on bringing DIY and "survivalist" techniques down to a hipster level making it accessible to everyone.  Get people to do it for art's sake, and then when they HAVE to do it (hopefully it never comes to that, but you never know where you will end up in life or the world), it becomes second nature.  I say bring on more projects!

19. godlessdustin

godlessdustin Well-Known Member

Dude, my girlfriend watches that same channel, I know she made something out of bags but I didnt see how it turned out.

20. Idotusa

Idotusa Member

They are made from tuff stuff plastic like Mattel toys use to be.