.50 Beowulf What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Taurus357, Dec 7, 2007.

1. If I get a bonus from work which will be 1,500 (IF I get it) I wanted to build a AR, but something other then a simple .223 so I started looking and I'm thinking of a Alexander Arms upper in .50 Beowulf and a DPMS lower. Should cost me 900ish total from what I've been seeing online. What do you guys think? I know the rounds are hard to find, but since I can reload I'm finding some good options out there that will keep the price down. I wanted to do a Tromix but right now they are taking orders for 2009, and I'm way to eager to wait for that long for a toy. Thoughts?

2. 1motion

1motion Guest

i think most .50 cal rounds are more novel than anything, there are better choices out there in my opinion.... what type of ar will you be building... a short carbine or something with a long barrel that can reach out and touch someone. i have been thinking of an ar in some type of short magnum like a .270WSM or .300WSM but the .450 bushmaster looks interesting as well

3. Short and loud.... like the wife...

4. What are you going to be using it for?

I like the sound of the 6.8 SPC round myself. That and the newer gas piston AR's. Wouldn't buy an AR without that last bit after my time in the Marines.

5. It's not going to have a BIG role, just gonna play the "cool ar" role, plus will be my dress up gun for when I got extra cash to make her tactical purdy.

6. If I were to get another AR system, been 12 yrs since I rid myself of that infernal poodle shooter, it would be in the 6.8 Remington SPC caliber. No expierence with any of the .50cal centerfires though.

7. Are you sayin there is a .50cal rimfire?!?! :eek: :eek: :eek:

8. I think he's referring to the .50 cal Muzzleloaders. :wink:

What about the .50 AE AR-15 Upper Taurus? I have plenty of reloads we can shoot? LOL!

9. LOL...Don't think there is such a thing. I looked briefly before considering the beowulf, problem is the AE is shorter and had problems in the mag. Just from what i've read.

10. Ari

Ari Guest

What is wrong with the .458 socom in an AR?

11. psysage

psysage Guest

I like the 50 Bewolf and the 6.5 Grendel

My plan is to build up 1 hunting weapon from small game (.223) to Elk 50 Bewolf using the AR platform.

My gun dealer told me that one of his customers did exactly that.

223 for small game/defense
    6.5 Grendel for long range and medium game
    50 Bewolf for short range (200 yard max) medium game/Elk

Living in NM one gun with all the options will be very handy

psysage

12. I like the .450 Busshy

13. Nothing wrong with the .458 Socom, I considered it. Costs a little more for the upper. Costs more for ammo. Does have more available cartridges available though. Thought about it for a week or two and decided on the Beowulf.

14. GlockMan

GlockMan Member

Buy something you can afford to shoot more then a few times, plus remember resale value is not very high on odd-ball calibers. Honestly I would do the 6.8 SPC but ammo costs once again will kill you even with reloading. Hell 5.56 is even too expansive to shoot like I used to!

15. I can afford to shoot everything I have and in large quantities. I'd like to have something...exotic... fun...cool. I've purposely been selecting my weapons to eat off the existing menu. Can only enjoy the dollar menu so long before needing to splurge on a big mac once in awhile ya know?