Votes: 8 40.0%
  • 3" 45/410

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a coupon in the box with my Bond Arms derringer. Of course I am going to use it, help me decide.

First some background.
My favorite metallic cartridges are the 22 Hornet, 30-30 Winchester, 38 Special, and 45 acp (actually it's the 45 Auto Rim and 32 H&R magnum, but that's another story).

My "go to" metallic cartridges are the 223 Remington, 308 Winchester and 9mm Luger. ( The Henry Single Shot, my chosen rifle since the demise of H&R, was not available in 30-30 at the time, still is not available in 22 Hornet) I have a good supply of 223, 308, and 9mm brass.

what I all my "foraging" rifles are chambered in 45 Colt and 300 BLK (H&R) And 357 Magnum (Henry) I do have another foraging long gun, the H&R 45/410 Survivor.

I have wanted a Bond Arms Backup for some time now, it's available in the 2 1/2" barrel in 9mm and 45 acp. I just had a hard time with the over $500 price tag.

I just bought a Bond Arms Roughneck in 9mm. It fits well with my 9mm, 223, 308 go to battery. And is basically the Backup but without the crinkly finish and half the price. I want my second barrel to compliment one of my other firearms.

I do not need a 45/410 barrel as I already have a 3" Bond Arms Grizzly that will chamber 2 1/2" 410 shells. Plus I really want to stick with 2 1/2" barrels. Buying multiple barrels is not an option, I can only get one.

my choices are:
  • 38/357
  • 45 acp
  • 45 Colt (I am leaning this way, it would compliment my H&R Buffalo Classic Carbine and a large bore derringer just feels right)
  • 45/410 (because I am wrong and I need a longer barrel that will accommodate 3" shells like my H&R Survivor does)
Please give the reason behind your choice. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
Out of the listed cartridges, .45 ACP is the one I shoot the most. It was a tough call between that and .357 Magnum. I only have one .357 Magnum handgun, though, so I had to go with the .45 ACP. As for the last two on the list, if I got them for free, I'd only be able to use them to trade for other ammo.

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
Either .45 Colt or .38 SPL.

.45 Colt because you're a Big Bore fan. If they had it .44 SPL you'd be buying that without even asking. The .45 Colt lets you load up or down. You can even handload shotshells, multi-ball, or buck-and-ball and not need to mess with .410 stuff. You could manage recoil anywhere from "moderate" to "feels like touching off a cherry bomb in my palm."

.38 SPL for most of the same reasons but you can download even further than .45 Colt, which would allow you to manage recoil even more. I don't think you could get buck-and-ball in a .38 but I've seen commercially loaded double-ball, at least in .357.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: retread and ajole

·
Premium Member
9,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lots of love it seems for the 45 Colt in the comments, but there are twice as many votes for the 45 ACP. Hmmm?

I am sort of turning away from the 45 Colt. For 2 reasons, I already have the capability in the 45/410, although I am not a fan of that looong chamber with only 1/2" of rifling, plus I watched a video where the owner of bond arms says the use of +P or +P+ loads in the Bond Arms is not recommended. Probably because there are technically no +P loads in 45 Colt. But that kind of defeats the purpose of a companion arm for the H&R Buffalo Classic Carbine as it gets fed "Ruger Only" loads almost exclusively. The folks over on Graybeard Outdoors have a 454 Casull reamer for rent, thinking that would be the way to go in the H&R Carbine.

That brings me back to my extra barrel.
.38 SPL for most of the same reasons
Lots of merit here ^^^^, and the 38/357 barrel moves up a notch. But I do like a big bore and the 45acp is ahead in the polls!

·
Premium Member
4,850 Posts
At least you're sticking to a .45. AND John Wayne DID carry one in The Longest Day, so I guess you aren't a heretic.

·
Registered
58 Posts
45 Long Colt for the win, but the 38/357 would be next

(Do they have 327 federal? you could use 32 S&W, 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R Magnum and 327 Federal) very versatile chambering.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts