50-round boxes of Federal 9mm aluminum case for $9.97

Discussion in 'Caliber Zone' started by Moestooge, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

The Wal-Marts in this area are now offering 50 round-boxes of Federal 9mm for $9.97. It's not for reloaders, as aluminum cases keep the price down. I bought a box, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

2. panoz77

panoz77 Member

I'll have to look for it. Too bad that is what brass cased Federal was selling for in the not too distant past.

3. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

I saw some the other day and passed. Picked up 2 boxes of WWB instead.

4. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Curious about these. I hear they also have .40 for $10 too.

5. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

My 4595ts shot Blazer aluminum no problem

6. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I just bought 3 boxes of 9mm and a box of .45. Im gonna try it tomorrow in my carbines. I'll give a range report.

7. Shame I don't have 9mm, I used to shoot aluminum cased 9mm largo about a couple decades ago. They functioned just fine.

8. Dagwood

The .45 aluminum case is 14.99 a box of 50

9. I bought Fed. aluminum by mistake a week ago. There was no limit on #s of boxes. I shot a box thru each of my 995Ts, Sig 2022 and Taurus PT111G2. All gone and no problems feeding them.

It seems the 995 tarnishes the hell out of brass cases and makes them hard to find in the grass. Aluminum stands out a little better.

10. Dagwood

So expo, why is "this space intentionally left blank"?

11. Dagwood

Took the 4595ts and the 995ts to the blm and shot 150 rds of the federal 9mm aluminum case and 50 rds of the .45acp. All ran flawless. The only issue I had was that the aluminum cases are a little sticky to load in the mags. The brass case loads much smoother being that brass is self lubricating. The aluminum is dry and a little harder to load. But, for the difference in prlce I will definitely buy more. I had shot the blaser aluminum case thru the 4595ts and thru my XDm with no problems as well.

12. My 995 TS doesn't like them. Had a couple of jams, first ones I ever had with it.

Now my RI 1911 45 will shoot them all day long.

13. Stogies

Stogies Member

Stuff's coming back now, folks! ;-)

14. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

Amazing!
    That is one special Rock Island!
    Shoots 45 and 9mm aluminum cased... ;)

Sorry GH, that's just how my warped mind works :p

My 995 and 4095 have both handled the steel and aluminum cases just fine. My KelTec sub2000 had a few fte with aluminum in the 40 cal, but it was brand new and now handles them fine as well. Aluminum is a rougher finish in casings, and scratches on the cases show up easier. Brass is the best, and if you want to bother picking them up, is well worth the extra costs if you reload or sell your brass. With these lower prices, I may pick up some alum. just maybe...

15. Just as a note of interest. I've seen on some of the reloader boards where people have five or more reloads using the aluminum cases. In autos I usually lose the cases before I hit that number.

16. undeRGRound

INDY
    Good to know that it is possible, with good case inspection, no doubt!

17. undeRGRound

INDY

A link would be nice, because I suspect lighter loads, or even practice loads are what the doctor ordered for Aluminum Cases. Please GH??? :)

18. Quick quote.

jcwit
    February 16, 2010, 10:43 AM
    A fellow shooter that just enjoys doing things that “can’t” be done reloaded a few thousand blazer aluminum cases before they eroded the chamber and he had to replace the barrel. They were 45 acp and almost every case split on the first reload. Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should.

Why would he load them so hot? When doing my experiment I reloaded them 5 times both alu. and steel with NO split cases. No they were not light loads just a little above medium. A little common sense would have prevented having to replace the barrel. Only reason I quit at 5 reloadings is I proved the point to myself and just stopped.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-505757.html

There is/was a thread on there were jcwit documented his experiment. I can't find it at the moment. I've seen several others over the years but they have a habit of disappearing into cyber space. Note that the Blazer ammo uses/ used an oddball sized Berdan primer.

Another thread with successful comments,

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?90459-Dos-anyone-reload-aluminum-cases

Another comment from Guy Niel of CCI

Guy Neill, on Jul 12 2009, 08:34 PM, said:
    Yes, the Blazer aluminum cases have been boxer primed for a while now. Still not a good idea to reload them.

Even with the older Berdan primed Blazer I would get several calls annually from shooters saying that you really could reload them. That is known by CCI. When the first aluminum cases were made, CCI reloaded then repeatedly to demonstrate the durability before they offered then for sale.

The reasons not to reload than stem from differences in internal volume, and the corrosive qualities of aluminum. The aluminum id coated to protect it from corrosion, and resizing will scrape through the coating, exposing the base aluminum. Corrosion in aluminum takes the form of pits reaching into the metal versus brass corrosion that is a surface patina.

There may also be differences in the springback, and the dies are designed for brass springback, not aluminum.

So, yes, they can, technically be reloaded, but don't.

Guy

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=88378&pid=1016796&st=0&#entry1016796

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  19. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I burned through all three calibers of this stuff today. My guns still look really clean! A whole box in the JHP45, 3 boxes between the 4095, and the Glock, and about a full box in the SCCY.

Either that it's that MotorKote I painted them all with and let them soak all night.

20. Hot-Shot

Hot-Shot Member

Dicks SG has win 9mm 115 gr 50 count for 12,95 went there today SOLD OUT. got BOGO 1/2 price Blazer 9mm 25.00 for the two
    I still reload but don't have much luck in my 995 with them. its at MOM now for a new barrel